Hayward H250 HELP

May 20, 2016
Kissimmee
I have a Hayward H250 Natural gas heater and I just replaced the bypass assembly to the newer model as the old one broke. I am now getting the LO code.

* Filter is Clean
* I have let the pump run for 2-3 minutes to reset the heater

** Only concern is maybe the red and blue wire going to the back of the water pressure switch. I can not find a picture.

The heater worked before installing the new bypass kit but it would ping and make loud noises due to the broken bypass part.

Any help would be great

Daniel

Try this. Shut the pump off, power off the heater and remove the pressure switch, then with the pressure switch missing, turn the pump on, keep heater power off, and see if you have a steady strong stream of water coming out where the pressure switch was. If so, then reinstall the pressure switch and see if the unit will fire up. As for the wiring to the pressure switch, it can go either way and it doesn't matter.

Are you sure you put the new bypass in place correctly? It really only fits one way properly but I've seen people somehow get it in backwards.

I will try the troubleshooting steps and reply. As for the install of the bypass the black plastic part U shape goes down in the groove, thermostat goes underneath . I put the black wheel that connects to the rod with spring and tightened the screw down until the sprint seemed tight. FYI-- The heater was working before but never had a thermostat (it used to be a weekly rental house).
56259.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted to verify the wiring on the pressure switch (red and blue wire connections). I also wanted to know if maybe any common installation issues when putting in the new bypass assembly that would create the LO code. Heater worked before installation but would ping and turn off due to the broken bypass plastic part.

PS0303,

I followed your instructions and yes a strong stream came out of the pressure switch hole. After screwing it back in and connecting back to the red/blue wires still same LO code. Should I adjust the dial on the Pressure switch ? I have a Hayward Multi Speed pump and running it at 3000 RPM.

No you do not have to adjust the pressure switch at all.

Do you have an automation system attached to this? If you do and the wiring is messed up, you will get a LO error message.

What happens if you bypass the pressure switch with a jumper wire?

Take the two wires that go to the pressure switch and jumper them together with a piece of wire and see if the units fires up. If it does then the pressure switch is bad. If it still shows LO then you have another issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I took the red and blue and jumped them together. Power was completely off then turned back on. Still LO code. I am sure the Black Bypass insert and Thermal control valve are correct. Could it be the bypass valve not moving on the spring ?

The old one was working but there was no Thermal control valve and the spring was broke. The Black bypass was repaired with epoxy and everything worked until that broke

If you jumpered the pressure switch and still have LO then you have another issue. Jumping out the switch bypasses it in the safety circuit thus if it's the problem allows the unit to fire up.

On the inside of the unit on the front wall of the fire box are two limit switches. One has a small tab on it that you can push in. See if for some reason it is tripped and needs to be reset.

What are you showing me in the first picture?? Just use a piece of wire between the two ends. Also, are you holding in that metal door switch when you are trying to fire the unit?

This an old IDL model with a blower on it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.