Pool is Cloudy Help Please!

I opened my AG 24'x12' pool about a week ago. When I opened it was green. Shocked and vacuumed and water is no longer green but very cloudy. Pool has been cloudy for about 4 days with little to no improvement. Pump/sand filter is running 24/7. Chemistry and what I have tried so far is below in the order I have tried them.

Opening multiport and flushed/cleaned the sand to check for tunneling
Added DE to filter to try and improve filtration
Added Fiber Clear media to filter, psi rose from normal 15 to 25 within a couple of hours resulting in backwash and loss of fiber clear. I have done this 3 times so far.

I shocked yesterday with hth 6 in 1 shock treatment. I don't typically use this but was hoping to increase my CYA with it. My thought process might be totally wrong on that. I have never dealt with a CYA less than 10. Yesterday my FC was 30. I realize I added too much shock powder.

Current numbers

pH 7.4
FC 15
CC 2
CYA <10 (This was the result before the most recent shock, I do not have a current result)

At this point I am assuming I should continue to keep my water at shock level because of the CC. I am not sure how to increase CYA or if this is contributing to my problem. I am fine with pool owner patience as long as I am seeing improvement. Thanks for your help.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your situation is one we see very often here .... algae. No amount of filtration will resolve the issue. You need to kill the algae with the proper ratio of chlorine (bleach) and stabilizer (CYA). That's KEY. To do this, testing is priority #1. Are you using a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit? That would be ideal. Then you need to "SLAM" via the link below in my sig. That page will guide you through the SLAM process and it will work, but you must be able to test the water often. The test kits I mentioned above have a "FAS-DPD" (powder & drops) process to test FC levels way above 5 ppm, so if you don't have it, you will need it. You can find all of that in the TF-100 link below in my sig as well. Let us know if you have anymore questions. Great to have you with us.

Oh - And don't add anything else to your water other than regular liquid bleach - generic is fine (plain, no scents, not splashless). Also update your location (city/state) next to your user name. Thanks!

Thank you, I have been a TFP lurker for years. I use a Taylor test kit/reagents and liquid bleach/borax. The only reason I used the powder was to try to raise my CYA. I thought that powdered/pucks contained CYA, but maybe I am wrong. Is my low CYA a problem? If so how do I increase?

You're correct! Many of those shocks and pucks do have stabilizer, and since you are using a Taylor kit to test, you should be receiving an accurate CYA reading. You definitely need the CYA to be at least 30. But if the tabs and bags are raising quite as fast as you need, then just pick-up some granular stabilizer from somewhere like Wal-Mart and add it via soaking in a sock. Then increase your FC to 12 and you can start your SLAM.

Make sure to adjust pH to about 7.2 before starting the SLAM though. :)

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

You're correct! Many of those shocks and pucks do have stabilizer, and since you are using a Taylor kit to test, you should be receiving an accurate CYA reading. You definitely need the CYA to be at least 30. But if the tabs and bags are raising quite as fast as you need, then just pick-up some granular stabilizer from somewhere like Wal-Mart and add it via soaking in a sock. Then increase your FC to 12 and you can start your SLAM.

Make sure to adjust pH to about 7.2 before starting the SLAM though. :)

Thank a lot. I didn't realize I could but granular from WalMart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.