ERR on Pentair Heater problem

Jun 24, 2007
I have a Pentair MiniMax NT heater. About 2 weeks ago I had a lightning strike which blew my 24V transformer. I replaced it and now I do get 24V on the orange and white wires that plug in P4 to the panel. When I turned the heater back on it tonight it flashes "Err" fast for about 5 seconds and then all lights on the panel go out except the "PRESSURE SW" light (WATER PRESSURE SWITCH). This indicates flow I believe. Other than this light even the power light is out. I am hopeful someone can give some trouble shooting advice other than what the manual says: "NOTE: If Code ERR is shown on the LED display at any time, turn the heater off, (from power switch),then turn on the heater again. If the error code is still displayed, call a Pentair Service Technician".

I may try Pentair tomorrow as they did help me with the troubleshooting tocheck the transfomer but after it was dead I assumed I could take it from there to replace. Maybe something else is damaged from the power surge however nothing else has shown any change in operation. I have an Easytouch 8, 2 - 4x160 intelliflow's etc. I was home when the lightning happened and it really didn't seem like a big deal at the time. I just noticed my pump wasn't running the next morning even though the power lights were still on (the primary 4x160 that filters the pool). This pump is on the "control cable" from the Easytouch and it seemed like the communications was locked up. So after flipping the breaker a few times with no luck I disconnected the control cable, turned everything off and when powering up the Easytouch I did a system reset and the pump came on. Then I noticed the heater was out and called Pentair and they guy had me check voltage on the transfomer and it was bad.

Any ideas? :?:

spishex said:
Is this a Minimax? If it's not trying to fire up at all and the power light won't go on, you've probably got a bad control (DDTC). This is assuming proper incoming power and correct wiring for 120 vs 240 operation.

MiniMax 400 DV

I have 24V coming into the panel now with a new transformer. If you are correct then that is at least $300. Any body out there working on PCB's for cheap?

I do now believe I had a bad transformer and a bad DDTC after the lightning. Today I took the transformer off a buddy's Pentair Minimax NT (yes I have a friend with the same crappy heater :lol: ). I first tried his transformer on my heater hoping my voltage was slightly off and would fire up. It did not. Same issue. "Err" flashes and Pressure SW light on. I called Pentair and he actually helped me trouble shoot :goodjob: We checked the therm sensor and he says nothing left but the DDTC.

So I took my newly wired transformer to his heater and installed it and it worked like a champ. So now I know how to wire a Pentair transformer to a much cheaper model with success but I have a bad DDTC and that is expensive to replace. It sure seems like someone would make a cheap surge suppressor for lightning protection instead of the heater blowing transformer and PCB's! :idea:

MiniMax NT 400 Err code

I had a flood the other day by my pool equipment while the filter pump was running. The pump zapped and broke. I replaced the pump and now the Heater is showing Err code. I called Pentair. The tech had me check the thermistor and that was fine. He said it's probably my DDTC board. Before I spend $250+ I wanted to know if there was a way to test that or any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.