Help pool deck is in bad bad shape.

Jul 20, 2015
London/Ontario
So I will start off by saying that we are completely new to pools. We just happened to find a house we really liked, that had a pool, last summer. We knew that the decking was going to need something done to it at some point, but we weren't expecting this. (the actual deck was covered up which is why we didn't know it was so bad)

What do you think our options could be? Jack up the concrete and repair it? Put a rubber surface over top that will make it level? Or do we have to rip it out and start fresh? And I am terrified what that would cost for an 18 x 36 vinyl pool.

I have posted photos before we started, during, and after our discovery. The grey plastic stuff what was over top. Under that they had astroturf which was growing moss really badly. We just wanted to clean off the moss before opening the pool.
deb95dd793b188a0342f386bf4dab457.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1463716289063.jpguploadfromtaptalk1463716293003.jpguploadfromtaptalk1463716296887.jpg
0cc7405801039848108e79cb6c653648.jpg
09b120c34da2c1f246fada8233626afc.jpg

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP! That looks like a science project. I'm guessing you already know the "correct" fix to the issue. A complete deck demolition. There are other stop gap approaches, like the one they employed that will cost less, but also will look like they cost less. You have settlement issues below the decking so nothing you put on top of the concrete will fix that issue (like a poured product - they will crack too). Their solution, while not elegant, is interesting and probably served them well for some period. They kicked the can down the road to you though.

How's the pool look? Liner good, steps good, equipment good? Green water? That one's the easy one!

Please see the following for helpful information...Getting Started

A few pics of the overall setting would be great too. I'm sure others will be along to comment. There is a great thread going on now about a similar size pool that had the decking completely ripped out and redone DIY style. Are you up for it?
Prepare to be amazed...http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/110479-1978-18x36-vinyl-liner-complete-renovation

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look at the diy project and show my husband. We are very much diy people. This is what the pool looked like when we bought the house. We have since put a removable safety fence around it because we have a 2.5 year old and a 7 month old and a black lab who can't seem to keep himself away from water. We have had some leaking issues since we got it. But very slow leaks where all the pool companies said it was evaporation. I didn't but it since we were the only ones out of all the neighbours that had a hose in our pool once a week. We hired a diver in the fall to fix it. It helped but we still lost about 3" over the winter, so he is going to come back once we have it opened to have a look. Pump is in good shape, and we replaced the filter. We don't have a heater. The dive guys said the liner is one of the best installs they have seen and said we have about 5 to 7 years left in it. Ladders are in decent shape. The vacuum head they left us was bad so we had to but a new one.
662f2046786402aef4e9f224e0d2f730.jpg

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.