New build in North Dallas- looking for suggestions/comments-UPDATED 9/22

Re: New build in North Dallas- looking for suggestions/comments-UPDATED

It's the heat that supposedly has the effect on salt water corrosion, from what I have been told. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm new to all this, and certainly not an expert. I have only been researching travertine and other patio materials in terms of their ability to withstand harsh winters. Salt has just been a secondary concern for me. So far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update again-
Excavation was supposed to be Friday, but the storms in Dallas Friday morning wiped that out. But its for the best as we changed the decking layout. Before revisions, we had about 20 feet behind the pool to the fence. And the decking on the east side was kind of by itself. So we moved the decking from the east side to the north (behind the pool), which puts an extra seating place closer to the spa and pavilion. Here is the revised plan:
july 17th revision.jpg

We also like that it helps keep the east side of the yard open for the kids to play.

The dig is now scheduled for tomorrow or Wednesday.

The last thing we need to decide is umbrella sleeves. We were thinking of putting two in the tanning ledge, on the left and right sides. Other options are coping or decking. With the decking, I would think the pavers could be replaced without too much trouble down the road if we wanted to.

PB recommends using brass umbrella sleeves. I've seen the ones on this site that are plastic with multiple color choices. Does anybody have any recommendations? I think brass will hold up well in the water, but I don't want it to discolor or rust. Plastic won't have that problem obviously. But I would think brass might hold up better than plastic if the kids pull on the umbrella, which I definitely see happening. PB says it's a pretty big job to replace the brass ones. I assume the same is true for plastic umbrella sleeves?

We decided to forego the umbrella sleeves.
Excavation was supposed to start Tuesday morning. Unfortunately, the crew didn't show up until about 5:00. It took them about 45 minutes to get the fence down. (Two neighbors are using the same builder right now, so one of them was nice enough to let the excavator use their yard to access ours- which kept the front of our house clean!)

Before from corner of yard:
968f73593f1a1bea8a303da0fddfa0a7.jpg

24b6dd6bcf2404c540318d6ecf2be99b.jpg

It was a tight fit getting excavator into yard:
ee4c59b5152449229bbdecd35b6f5764.jpg

After getting equipment in, they left for the night.
The crew returned a little before 8:00 this morning. They seemed to be careful and were repeatedly checking measurements. It looks like things are going well, but excavation is taking longer than I anticipated. They didn't finish today and will be back out in the morning.
0591ce1ff11c8f1047ed74e857322862.jpg
fdcd1c7862e97390bcc7f8e27bce5720.jpg

At the start of the week the hope was to have gunite by Friday. That won't happen now, but that's okay. I don't expect the project to be finished before the end of September or later.
Should have excavation done by tomorrow and short plumbing and rebar by Friday. Gunite next week.

I will check measurements of the the pool after they finish tomorrow. Kids are already asking when they can swim.

Heh... your PB is my PB. They were against umbrella sleeves to me as well. I think they are right too. I will end up just getting an arc umbrella so I can move it where I want to move it.

Not to mention, they did the same thing.... showed up at 5PM, took my fence down, and then came back two days later since their bobcat was in use somewhere else.

Darling.

Excavation crew started again this morning about 7:45. Finished right at 5:00. I was surprised it took two full days.

Steel crew was supposed to start tonight, but looks like it will be tomorrow.

I was wrong. Steel crew arrived about 8:45 pm and dropped off the rebar. We're back out Friday morning. By the time I arrived home from work:
cc51c5d4f169e4d85536c2d55765f58f.jpg

Short plumbing was completed as well. The only question I have is about one of the pipes for the main drain. It has quite a few angles in it. I wonder if it will cause flow problems. Thoughts?
8cc08b28ed26c545896063907164aee7.jpg

9cca45ce7673b8d519ad5e0268a1d9b8.jpg

I'm told the plan is for inspection Monday and gunite Tuesday. However, I see there is a chance of rain in the area on Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully nothing caves in if there is any rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We were supposed to get gunite Tuesday, but PB pushed it back to today based the rain on Monday and forecast for Tuesday. (Of course we got no rain on Tuesday).

Gunite crew showed up at 6:30 this morning to start. Things were going well:
2024787171c750e339303148a461a42d_thumb.jpg

feb0d3ced14ecb04be191500f7905d5f.jpg

66c575116c88bfa983607e149dca3bbe.jpg

The rain arrived before they could finish (of course). The pool itself was mostly done and the footing for the fireplace and pavilion were being shot as it started to pour.

Gunite people said everything will be ok, but it looks like parts of the gunite are starting to fall. This is the bench at the back of the pool.
779bcebbd8972c2e37baf38714008229_thumb.jpg

Crew put some tarp out. PM is supposed to come by this afternoon to look things over.

At the moment it looks like only small pieces have fallen, which I would think be corrected with plaster. If that is all that happens, should I be worried?

Really wishing the gunite was shot yesterday.

Thought I would update this again. It's been a month and some progress has been made, although not as much as we would like. Masons have been here 2 weeks, with at least a week to go. But the people building our structure have not been responsive and have been difficult to get out. In fact, they have taken so long to get out, some of the masonry has to be torn out so that posts for the structure can be set. Very frustrating.
Photos of the progress:
89c004015e6ff9deccbdb7e56d93a278.jpg

edbd84f0fcf161cb276b59c301b8206a.jpg
f17eeda3ff7cb7c0a58789f87534b5bb.jpg
0f497180189c871d0c203c4141add57f.jpg
5999e0cf49394a07b736c33ff2f3ba0f.jpg

We've been very happy with the masons and their work.

Plumbing was done yesterday. We have 2 skimmers and 5 returns. The skimmers were run separately with separate valves. The returns are all on the same valve. Is that a problem? Should I see if the plumbers can get back out and run them to separate valves? The two waterfalls are on separate valves, as is the main drain and spa fountain. Thoughts?

Plumbing was done yesterday. We have 2 skimmers and 5 returns. The skimmers were run separately with separate valves. The returns are all on the same valve. Is that a problem? Should I see if the plumbers can get back out and run them to separate valves? The two waterfalls are on separate valves, as is the main drain and spa fountain. Thoughts?
That sounds right to me, I can't imagine a scenario where you would want some returns to be open but not others, but I can see where you would want them all closed (deep cleaning a sand filter).

Two waterfalls and a spa fountain? I hope you have a convenient place to buy acid. :laughblue:

Thanks for the reply. The plumbers labeled the valves as waterfalls. They are really 2 12" scuppers. The spa valve, I assume, is for the spillover into the pool. But I see your point. We will see how it goes. I think we are at least a month from completion. I'll order my test kit in a week or two so I'm ready to go once we fill it.

The nice thing about separate valves is if you get a broken plumbing line mid season you can isolate it by turning off that valve and screwing a plug into the return in place of a standard eyeball. This lets you delay excavation and repair until the off season.

Your pool looks awesome! Would you mind sharing what veneer stone you are using on the walls and travertine coping color? My wife and I really like it.

Veneer is "silver travertine". They come in this box:
7dd15680889e6f7ac58ebc5c3aa4e047.jpg

The coping is torreon travertine with bull nose edge.
We will eventually have light walnut travertine pavers in a herringbone pattern.

Cabana posts are 8x8 cedar.

Masons have done most of the back of the fire feature. The rest will be torreon travertine. Same with the front.
fbd8d23185aa1b4aa37886134ab8d519.jpg

We continue to move forward slowly. Mostly because of the structure people causing the masons to tear down their work, twice. The last time was due to the posts of the structure not being positioned properly. But, it seems to have worked out for the most part. The masons are finished, except for coming back to replace any stone/coping that is damaged during the rest of the project. Here is the fire feature. It has a 60" linear burner in it rather than a true fireplace. The fire feature is 8' tall with the mantle at 4'. Masons originally put the mantle at 5', which was too tall and had to be redone. Fortunately, the masons have been great and have repeatedly asked us to tell them if we are unhappy about anything so they can make sure we like how everything is done.
IMG_1001.jpg
The structure:
IMG_0987.jpgIMG_0989.jpg
We like how it has turned out so far, especially given the difficulties with the contractor.
Structure rough in electrical work has been approved by the city, but some of the lights need to be moved before the structure tongue and groove ceiling can be installed.
Next up is decking- travertine pavers. I'm not sure why the structure isn't finished first, but I leave it up to PB to decide how to proceed. Hopefully the decking will be done in about a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.