Got a Doughboy 12x24 pool new on craigslist-Was it a deal?

jgreen

May 12, 2009
I found a Doughboy 12x24 pool on craigslist, all boxes new and never opened and I paid $1,500 for it. I normaly do a good deal of research on items I buy but in this case I felt I had to act fast and fear I may not have gotten as good a deal as I had hoped for, let me explain. Turns out this Doughboy pool #0-4442-044 has been stored for 13 to 17 years according to the person I spoke with at Doughboy. It is said to be the same construction as some of their current models with the exception of this one having 4" top rails. The up side in back in the eightys, ninetys they only supplyed a 25mil liners and that is a upgrade on todays models. This pool included: complete pool w/liner, filter/pump, skimmer, hoses, themo cover. All appears to be in like new condition. I am wondering if anyone out there knows of any problems or issues with early Doughboy pools and if this was a OK deal or a Great deal. :?:

WOW jgrean! I can't speak for its age, but last May, we paid over $6K for our 32 x 16, which included an upgrade to the 25mil print liner. So it sure sounds like a good deal to me, other than maybe a little concern of vinyl aging. But an acquaintence of ours grew up with Doughboy as a child and has had her own Doughboy for her children for around 15 years and is still on the same liner. Could be that the older liners were built better too....like everything else from the "olden days"!

My SIL had a Doughboy for years. They have a great rep, so I would think unopened in the box you would be okay. I have no idea if there could be issues with the vinyl though, after that many years. What did the Doughboy rep have to say about the liner- any degredation issues?

WELCOME!
I say you found a great deal. I worked as a pool installer starting back 20 years ago and even back then I always preferred to install and work on (liner replacements) Doughboys. So when my wife somehow talked me into putting one in our backyard I looked at what was available and stayed where I knew was best.

Get a new liner, doubt it came with skimmer/pump/filter so get new and maybe new plastic couping, you should be all set.

Now go read the Pool School, grab a shovel and post up your install pics!

Thanks for all of your imput, I feel better about my purchase now and here is a little more info on this pool. Its a Doughboy Timberline, the very first generation of this model pool. As far as the liner gos I was told it is a 25mil liner and my only conern should be possible insect damage, other wise the long term storage sould not be a issue as it was stored inside a garage. I will know more later when I unbox it and look at it better. This pool did come with skimmer and filter/pump, the pump is a Hayward and dont know if this if a good or bad thing. Everything I read about Doughboy pools seems to be very possitive and the are said to only supply the best liners and equipment with their pool kits. I am still in the learning stage and should know a lot more by next spring when I plan to set it up. I am reaserching coves and bottom liners and have decided to use both, infact I think ill dubble up on the bottom liner with a Gorilla as a base because they are so inexspencive and maybe a happy bottom on top of it and side wall padding too. any thought on bottom andside padding

I would have to agree, outstanding pool at a great price. You may be pleasantly surprised about the liner, it is probably in perfect condition and will stretch in just fine. I have yet to take a liner out of a box that was not in good usable shape, no matter how old.

Enjoy, and don't forget to share with us photos and any installation questions you may have.

Dennis

Well as a matter of fact I do have one kid, She is only 3 but loves the hot tub and would go nuts with a pool. We all have heard of putting the cart before the horse, well I did it big time as the property I plan to put this home on isnt mine yet, its a .25 acer lot/home and a short sale home down the street from me. I know I can get my money out of this pool so I bought it hopeing all would turn out and we would get the house. Short sale homes suck because you never know sometimes for months if the bank with acccept the offer. Believe me it was 109 degree here last week end and I am chompin at the bit to get this pool up. I will take lots of pics and Im sure ill ask many more questions before Im done, I love these forums and the people involved with them. theres a forum for just about any project or hobbie out there! :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.