Skimmer Box Cover Brown After Opening Pool

rc1626

Jul 18, 2015
L.I. New York
Just opened my pool this evening and upon removing the cover I noticed my skimmer box covers (2) are stained brown. In the pool the skimmer door seemed ok but the rectangular finish piece around it is stained as well. Water was below skimmer for the winter during closure. Pool water is nice and clear. There were a few leaves on the bottom but overall it looked pretty clean. Any ideas what could have caused this? How to remove? I don't have any test readings yet as the sun went down before I could do any. Will do them first thing in the morning. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob

Brown could be iron or could be organic stains from rotting leaves or acorns or the like.

Get a Vitamin C tablet and set it on one of the (damp) stains. In about two minutes, you'll have a white spot where it was sitting if it's metals. The next test if it isn't metals is to sit a trichlor puck on and see if it lifts the stain. If yes, it;s organic, and high chlorine and time will fade it. Do them in that order because the puvk may also lift metals and give yyou a false positive on organics.

More here: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.