Intex Sand Filter

timlab

Jul 11, 2015
Aiken SC
When I put up my Intex Sand Filter I noticed that the PSI was around 10 (in the green zone). I'm sure being new in using this I've gone over board with backwashing and etc.. Today I noticed that my PSI is now down to 6 PSI. In addition to this, where the outlet hose goes into a basket before it goes into the pump, (the place where you can let air out), before I start it, I always let all the air out before starting. It seems like within 5 mins the water level goes down (about 1/2 way) as if air is getting back in. All hose connections are tight, no leaks. Would it be my skimmer that is causing the air or what?

Thanks For the Help

About the back washing question, you don't want to backwash too often. Sand filters filter better when they're slightly dirty. The dirt that gets caught in the filter filters finer microns and so forth. Also, you said air was being sucked into your lines? Is your water level halfway up the skimmer mouth?

About the back washing question, you don't want to backwash too often. Sand filters filter better when they're slightly dirty. The dirt that gets caught in the filter filters finer microns and so forth. Also, you said air was being sucked into your lines? Is your water level halfway up the skimmer mouth?

I also have a Intex skimmer (the one that hooks to the side of the pool). I figure once the pump was running, I could see suction going on. I see very little suction even tho things are going inside. What's funny is I have a dual outlet pool. When I put my hand over the other suction cup, I can see the water going in, but then within 1 min the basket in the pump shows that the water when from full to almost empty. Is this normal or what can I do?

- - - Updated - - -

Anything getting blocked in your skimmer that would cause the pump to drain the leaf basket container?
Sounds like not enough water can be pulled out of the skimmer.

There is nothing blocking the skimmer.

If your pre-filter basket (that's what it's called) is filling up with air when the pump is running, then you have a suction side air leak somewhere. If you turn the pump off, you may see water leaking back out of it. This may help you find it. Chances are it's the clear lid on the pre-filter basket. You really have to torque those things down tight.

When I turn off the pump I do hear water coming from somewhere as I think it's coming down the hose from the sand filter. Tomorrow I will tight down the clear lid as far as I can. If that is not the problem, where should I look next for this leak?

Jeff speaks the truth. A suction side leak will show no mercy when it comes to keeping your system primed! Check your suction side piping. If I'm not mistaken, Intex uses hose clamps to tighten. Or you may have the screw type. Check all joints for leakage. Ensure there are no pin holes in your piping. Ensure Pump basket O-ring is properly lubricated with non corrosive lube.

Visually inspect o-ring on pump basket for defects. Any slits or malformities will spell problems with proper sealing.

Jeff speaks the truth. A suction side leak will show no mercy when it comes to keeping your system primed! Check your suction side piping. If I'm not mistaken, Intex uses hose clamps to tighten. Or you may have the screw type. Check all joints for leakage. Ensure there are no pin holes in your piping. Ensure Pump basket O-ring is properly lubricated with non corrosive lube.

Visually inspect o-ring on pump basket for defects. Any slits or malformities will spell problems with proper sealing.

I just started to use a sand filter, and have no proof that he is.

I just when outside and turned off my pump. Before I started it, I made sure that the water level was up to the top of the clear lid. When I turned off the pump, I noticed that the water level was half on the prefilled basket. I heard some noise coming from the other side, but no water was filling back into the basket. I then screwed off the clear top, and screwed it back on just as tight as I could. I then unscrewed the small top (that is on the prefilled basket) to let the air out) and the water came up to the top again.

Tomorrow I will follow these steps. I will tight down all screws including lids. After this I will turn on the pump, wait an hour, turn it off and see. If it still leaks air, where should I look next.

Thanks fellows.

I had a similar problem... Even though the Intex fittings had the rubber L gaskets on the hose ends, I still had to wrap the threads with Teflon tape to stop the leak. With both the threads and nut being plastic, I couldn't get them tight enough without stripping the threads. Haven't had a problem with it since then. Pretty cheap thing to try as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There should be zero air in that pre-filter basket. None at all, not even bubbles. Any air means suction side leak. If run with that pre-filter basket half full of air you will likely burn out your pump so it's critical to fix it.

My main suction side leak was due to the vacuum release valve on the outlet. It's the doo-hicky sticking up from the top of the outlet valve on the pool wall. Google it.
Try covering that with your hand. If you do so with your hands wet, sometimes you can feel the air sucking past your hand. Intex gives you adapters to replace these if they turn out to be the problem. You don't really need them once you have a skimmer since a blockage would just cause air to be sucked through the skimmer instead thus releaving the vacuum issue.

If that's not it, or if there are more leaks, tighten everything from the pool to the pre-filter basket. On the pre-filter basket, tighten the clear lid, the air release valve at the center of the clear lid, and the sediment release valve near the bottom of the pre-filter basket.

Good luck. Suction side air leaks are a pain but they can be fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.