Calling all Jandy Pros - Help needed

ComputerGuyInNOLA

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 20, 2012
Mandeville, Louisiana
My Jandy 1400 started throwing a 170 error code a couple of weeks ago. I found a Jandy troubleshooting flowchart that determined the flow sensor was bad. None of my pump or cleaner programs would run with the sensor board plugged in so I left it unplugged and set salt production to 0. And started manually chlorinating while the part shipped. Everything was working fine. The part arrived today so I set about installing it. The new cell has an external sensor controller that replaces the old unit with the daughterboard. I read the instructions carefully and started the install. It took about 40 minutes to route the cables and tie off everything with velcro cable ties. I plugged the board in and closed everything up. When I fired up the system the red LCD's flashed but the LCD display was off. I followed the instructions to press the Temp UP and Down and Salinity all at once. Still no display. I put it in service mode and hit the pump on button. I heard the relay but the pump wont start. Still no LCD display. I powered it off again and unplugged the new sensor. Still no LCD display and pump wont come on. Shut the breakers down one last time and triple checked everything for loose wires. Still the same. If it helps the system is 3 1/2 years old. Any help would be warmly appreciated.

Dave

Added 6:13 pm - The power light also is not illuminated. I just tried my Jandy water color lights and they work without a problem. Thanks!

ComputerGuy, this issue happened to me as well last August and if I remember right our pools came on line within a month of each other. I started having what were I thought no flow issues and thought I had a bad flow sensor. Didn't get the errors you did, just the no flow light when I had plenty of flow. Replaced the sensor and still the system was just acting weird. Then one day the pump went out and my display board was dark.

Thinking there was a short in the pump we swapped it out but nothing. Somehow the signal from the control board to tell the pump to run was dead. After opening up the panel, we noticed that I am not even sure what to call it, but there was moisture in "one of the circuit board things, maybe a resister or something that had a clear shell".

This happened after a ton of rain and humidity which doesn't happen much in Austin. Jandy sent me a new board under warranty and while I was waiting fro that to come in, everything started working again for no reason. We concluded it had dried out enough. Swapped out the board and have had no problems since. This was the first issue I had with the pool where I needed help to resolve and they were pretty stumped also.

Good Luck!

Skylar,

Thank you so much for the information. I am going to go take another look at the circuit boards. What is strange is it was working just prior to installing the new sensor. I had the old one unplugged so my remote and programmed pump times would work. Just after plugging in the new sensor everything stopped working. When I power it on the LCD is dark and no power light below the LCD display. The Leds all flash on twice then it goes to auto mode. I can select service mode but like I said all I hear is the relay click and the pump does not turn on. The lights however do work. Strange! Thanks again for the reply. It is much appreciated.

Dave

Skylar,

Thanks a lot for the replies. I found the issue. When I first put the sensor in I had turned off the two main breakers in the box. One has a test button and I pushed it to test the breaker. What I did not realize was the test button had become stuck. When I switched the breaker back on it stayed in the on postion. I would think if the test button was stuck it would have flipped to the center position. It did not do that. I had to work on the test button to get it to release and when I did everything came back online. The new flow sensor solved my 170 error code.

Thanks again for the help.

David

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.