A weird question for spring but here goes.

Propbndr

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Charles City, Va
Is there a way winterizing an inground pool located in Virginia that will prevent the liner bead from pulling out?

Two winters in a row, I followed the following routine. I lowered the water level to about an inch below the return jets, blew out the return and skimmer lines, added antifreeze, installed plugs and gizmos. Put in the winterizing chemicals! Then my inflated pool pillows and secured the cover. The first year about 2 feet of bead was pulled loose, hot water and was able get it back in. This year 2 corners were pulled loose. One corner went in with gentle heating with a hair dryer. The second was a bear, even with 140 degree hot water.

I know this is way ahead of time to be worrying about this but, if I have to buy anything, I'd rather do it sooner rather than later.

A second question if I may...should you keep the water level below the return jets of just let the pool fill back up as long as it doesn't go above the skimmers?

I am by no means an expert, but to me that sounds like your liner doesn't fit quite right, and is contracting in the cold and pulling out of the track. I'm not sure you can do anything about that besides get a new liner and make sure it fits right.

I am by no means an expert, but to me that sounds like your liner doesn't fit quite right, and is contracting in the cold and pulling out of the track. I'm not sure you can do anything about that besides get a new liner and make sure it fits right.

I disagree. The liner fits fine. What is happening is when the liner gets cold (winter cold burrrr) it shrinks, when it shrinks it pulls out of the track. Heat it back up and it goes in and stays in.

Good job thinking ahead. Do you have any liner lock?

Confer Plastics Liner Lock (120 Per Bag) - CPCBL120 - INYOPools.com

If not I bet this will do the trick. If you want to "double up" on the trouble spots you can use Popsicle sticks (for real LOL).

I wonder if you got some return plugs if you would still need to lower the water that far? That might help keep the liner from pulling out also.

Zodiac 1 1/2 Return Line Plug (9-100-8010) - INYOPools.com

Just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks.

Kim:cat:

I disagree. The liner fits fine. What is happening is when the liner gets cold (winter cold burrrr) it shrinks, when it shrinks it pulls out of the track. Heat it back up and it goes in and stays in.

Good job thinking ahead. Do you have any liner lock?

Confer Plastics Liner Lock (120 Per Bag) - CPCBL120 - INYOPools.com

If not I bet this will do the trick. If you want to "double up" on the trouble spots you can use Popsicle sticks (for real LOL).

I wonder if you got some return plugs if you would still need to lower the water that far? That might help keep the liner from pulling out also.

Zodiac 1 1/2 Return Line Plug (9-100-8010) - INYOPools.com

Just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks.

Thanks, I have ordered the bead lock. Praying it works. As far as the return plugs go, I already have some and install them in each of the 3 jets after I blow the lines out and put in anti-freeze. We got a lot of rain and snow this winter and I lowered the level in the pool back under the jets several times. That really diluted the winterizing chemicals, which caused a swamp to form. I am hoping to reduce dilution and liner shrinkage by not draining again unless it comes close to overflowing into the skimmer boxes

Clean up is going to take a while because I am on a well and cannot continuously add water to makeup for the loss caused by the vacuuming to waste I have to do.

Take your time putting in the liner lock. My fingers got sore from pushing it in. I also made sure my liner was seated VERY well and as deep as it would go in the channel before I put it in.

Take your time on your cleaning. At least you have a good test kit!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.