Newbie needs Black Algae and SLAM help please!

May 11, 2016
Forney, TX
I am in process of doing SLAM on pool due to Black Algae. My readings this morning with K 2006 FAS DDP:
FC 12, CC 0, PH 7.6, TA 80, CH 130, CYA 50. Filters clean.
My question(s):

1) Should I add acid to lower PH more before continuing SLAM? (I added 30 oz yesterday when PH was 7.8, I also added 3 - 96oz 8.25% bleach)
2) Should I also add baking soda in increase TA before continuing SLAM?
3) Should I increase CH as well?

I also received a decent rainfall last night, probably .5 to 1 inch.

As a note, I have definitely made some progress on the Black Algae, not gone of course, but improving.

I would say no to all three additions. I would simply focus on the black algae removal and make sure you get it.

Once that big task is complete, then retest your CH and bring it up to 250 if you need to.

pH and TA are just fine.

How does your water look?

I would say no to all three additions. I would simply focus on the black algae removal and make sure you get it.

Once that big task is complete, then retest your CH and bring it up to 250 if you need to.

pH and TA are just fine.

How does your water look?

Water is clear. Black algae fading with brushing! I calculated FC SLAM level of 16. CYA tested at 40 when I started. Do you think I should take FC higher?

Do you think I should take FC higher?
Honestly, yes and no!

SlAMming to get rid of black algae is quite a bit different than SLAMing to get rid or green or mustard. Black algae requires a constantly high dose of chlorine over a long period so you can continue to knock it out with lot's of brushing, more chlorine, lot's of brushing, more chlorine, etc.

So the idea is longer term exposure and my bet is that it doesn't do enough good to raise your FC way up because of the cost.

In short, I think what you are doing is perfect. I suggest you continue exactly as you have (especially the brushing) and simply see what develops.

It's a good idea to take some pictures so you can see your improvement. You may get a little discouraged as the pace slows.

Honestly, yes and no!

SlAMming to get rid of black algae is quite a bit different than SLAMing to get rid or green or mustard. Black algae requires a constantly high dose of chlorine over a long period so you can continue to knock it out with lot's of brushing, more chlorine, lot's of brushing, more chlorine, etc.

So the idea is longer term exposure and my bet is that it doesn't do enough good to raise your FC way up because of the cost.

In short, I think what you are doing is perfect. I suggest you continue exactly as you have (especially the brushing) and simply see what develops.

It's a good idea to take some pictures so you can see your improvement. You may get a little discouraged as the pace slows.

Thanks so much for the guidance! Yes, it's a slow go but I am already impressed with the progress. Pics are a great idea as it is difficult to really gauge the change. I lost 1 ppm over night so bleach, brush, bleach, brush, brush today! We are out of the rain forest mode for a few but that means more sunshine and heat to deal with!

Loosing the battle! Need advice please! I am making great progress with black algae on sides of pool but cannot get it in deep end on bottom of pool due to my inability to brush it well. Any thoughts on using Algi Ban? Will it blow up the CYA in pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is a longer brush pole or an extension a possibility? Perhaps even just getting another pole and banding them together, perhaps even with duck tape or a sleeve around them, like metal banding or pvc pipe. I have to imagine an extension of some sort is a possibility. Wall whale brush? Metal brush with down force fin?

If not, keep reading...if you wish and at your own risk.

Disclaimer: This is not an expert opinion. Please await others to chime in.

If the following are all true:
1. The water is crystal clear, as in you can see the bottom of the deep end clearly when the water is still, see where the individual screws are on the bottom drain /or/ see the individual black algae dots
2. You still pass the OCLT
3. CC is 0.5 or lower
4. your FC is just below the shock for your CYA
5. ph is 7.2-7.6
6. you are healthy or have a healthy volunteer (ie. perfect health, not immune-compromised, no allergies to mold, no infections, no diseases)
7. you know the risks and/or have the volunteer sign a waiver
8. the water is not so cold as to risk health issues

then if it were me, I'd get in and brush it, being careful not to get water in my eyes/ears/mouth/nose and getting in and out as fast as possible, then showering immediately and thoroughly

i'd retest and top off chlorine after my shower, then again later. and keep slamming until the black was gone. doing the in pool brush once per day. maybe twice. but never within 8 hours.

this is all based on my own black algae fighting experience, i am not an expert, am not a scientist, am not giving advice, just saying what I would/have done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.