First reading with new test kit

jca001

Gold Supporter
New pool owner. I had the liner changed and switch to SWCG in March. So it was an early opening. I have been taking a water sample to my local pool store, but then I found TFP and purchased a TF-100 and K1766. Today I made my first test and hopefully I did things correctly. It rained last night so I did not do the test until about 13:30 so the water would be mixed, the pump starts at 11:00 and stops at 20:00. The SWCG is set to 45% and the water is crystal clear. We have not been in the water yet because it has only been about 80 the days we could have gotten in. Water temp today at time of test was about 77.

FC = 10
CC = 0
CH = 200
TA = 80
CYA = 40
CL = 10+ It was a little darker than the top shade.
pH = 8.2
Salt = 3600

I know to look at the charts and use poolmath, but does anybody see anything that is way off and if any need working on which should I work on first?

Hello Jack! First thing to ask ... is the water clear with NO signs of algae? If so, then I would lower that pH down to about 7.5-7.6 first. Then, since you have a SWG, increase CYA to 70 with stabilizer. Your FC will slowly fall and can stay round the 4-6 range. That's it. :)

Now if you suspect algae, then that's different and requires some level adjustments. Just let us know. Great job on your first TF-100 test Jack. You're a pro now. :)

Thanks for the quick reply.
The water is crystal clear, no signs of algae.
The pool store test has always recommended I increase CYA, it was 10 the first time I took the water sample in. I have been added conditioner each time after a test and it has increased each time. I did not want to put the full amount of conditioner they recommended because I did not want to over do it. I have 2 skimmers, so I am going to put a sock with conditioner in each today.

It's good you were cautious about the CYA until you could test on your own. Now that you are sure, you can increase as needed. Of course make sure to test CYA in that viewing tube outside under a bright sky with the sun at your back. Glad to see you managing things so well. Good job.

Updating my progress and correction on one of my readings from my first post.

I did put a sock with conditioner in it in each skimmer last week and my CYA level is up some. May be a little bit better at testing now too.

I had pressure washed the concrete around the pool last weekend and a little dirty water went into the pool. So the bottom of the pool had a little bit more black stuff when I vacuumed it yesterday before our first pool party. End of school for teachers. I increased the SWCG from 45P to 50P and let the pump run all night.

Here are my current test done today at about 13:30.

FC = 11
CC = 0
CH = 250
TA = 90
CYA = 60
CL = 5+ (The tester has 2 columns and I used the wrong one on my first test)
pH = 8.2

I have purchased Polyquat 60, but I have not added any yet to lower the pH.

I have put another sock with conditioner in 1 skimmer to raise the CYA.

Jack, you are doing great, and glad to see you are more comfortable with testing. First thing .. you do need to lower pH, but not with Polyquat. You simply want to use Muriatic acid. If you have any questions about the muriatic acid, please let us know. You're raising the CYA a little more for your SWG, so that's perfect. FC is a bit high, so you can back off a bit on the SWG to let the FC fall more around the 4-6 range. Other than that you are doing quite well.

Welcome and glad you got the right test!

You really need to get your PH down ASAP. 8.2 is the test limit and your PH could be higher. Your SWG will also increase PH, so you really need to stay on top of your PH. You can get Muratic Acid at Home Depot, Lowes, ACE. Make sure you check the baume. The 31.45% is the highest concentration and is usually the most economical. Be careful not smell the fumes and don't place it anywhere near metal or bleach.

Using the powder test for FC is sufficient. No reason to test FC (CL) using the 2 column tester.

Save the polyquat 60 if you close for the winter. It doesn't get rid of algae and is a preventer. If you don't close for the winter, try to return it.

You need to turn the SWCG DOWN, not up. I have mine at 30%.

Also, don't worry about the pH until the FC gets down a point or two, as high chlorine messes with the pH test.

Other than that, everything looks spot on!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have another thread about semi closing my for 3 week while we are on vacation and it was recommended I add some Polyquot before putting the Safety Cover on. I will have to get some Muriatic acid to lower the pH. I will do some searching on it. I am sure I will find that I can it at a Home Improvement store if I remember correctly from what I have read. But if somebody wants to provide some quick information that would be appreciated.

Here you go Jack. A couple examples:
Muriatic Acid (Home Depot):

Muriatic Acid (Lowes):

- - - Updated - - -

Muriatic acid is also one thing we don't mind terribly if you get it at the pool store (usually 2 per case). Just grab it and leave before they try to sell you any snake oil. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.