CYA Accuracy

Jul 13, 2014
Charlotte, nc
Using a TF-100 my CYA reads zero. (I can see the black dot when filled completely.)
But I know it is not zero. I had the local pool company test it twice 2 weeks apart and they have a reading of 30 ppm both times.
Also my SLAM calculations are jiving at 12 ppm shock level when I add/test; so I am inclined to think pool store is correct.

I am certain I am following the instructions correctly.
Could the R-0013 Reagent go bad?
Does anyone have experience with inaccurate CYA testing using the TF-100?

FC: 5
CC: 1
PH: 7.0
TA: 80
CH:100
CYA: ?

In general, pool store testing for CYA is some of the worst. How did they test? Using the Taylor turbidity test or a whiz bang computer system?

Your CYA is likely not zero but less than 20 if it's clear to the top of the viewing tube.

They are using Taylor test products for sure. And your point is noted: But I am 5 days into the SLAM and while it is premature for an OCLT test, my overnight loss is sometimes around 1ppm; and sometimes during sunny days it is less than 2ppm; wouldn't a CYA of 20 be unstable and cause massive loss of FC...especially when at shock levels of 12-14?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.