Stain Concrete Pool Deck

Jul 9, 2015
Pittsford, NY
Last month I posted on here whether people thought it was better to paint or stain the untreated concrete pool deck around my inground pool. The consensus was that stain was cheap and easier, and requires less maintenance, so that's what I'm going to go with. The past couple days I spent cleaning up the area, including using my pressure washer with a surface cleaner to really get it clean. I plan on acid etching it with muriatic acid, and then using a solid color stain. I plan on going with Behr products, as they have worked well in other areas. I have two questions I was wondering if anyone had any insight...

1) After I acid etch it, do I need to put down a concrete bonding primer as well before I add the stain? I thought that the whole point of etching was to provide a surface for the stain to adhere to. Is priming really necessary? The Behr website recommends it, obviously.

2) After I add a couple coats of stain, do I need to seal it? I understand that sealing it necessary if I would've painted it, but does stain require it? I believe that it would add some protection, but wondering if it's worth it, if the chlorine will dull it greatly over the years.

Thanks for your help!

Most stained and etched concrete I have seen has been sealed, I am not sure if your "suppose" to or if it is "required" by the stain company..

I acid stained and sealed mine. The sealer can make it more slippery, but any stain supplier company can sell you aluminum oxide or some type of polymer grit to sprinkle onto the wet sealer to give it traction. It worked nicely for us. Looks like you are using a non-acid stain from Home Depot-not sure if they carry the aluminum oxide or polymer grit.

Hi - Realize this is an old thread. But curious on any updates to staining existing concrete. My has a few bits of old and new concrete and would like to make it uniform. As an aside - I epoxied my garage floor and it turned out very nice. Hope to recreate a nice effect around the pool. Think it would set it off nicely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.