About to open my pool for the first time, want to use the BBB method...

Oct 1, 2015
Lakeland, TN
We had a fiberglass pool installed last October, and the solid pool cover went on shortly afterward, so we haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

Dimensions are 17'x35' and height is 3' - 9'6"

I want to save $200-$300 and open my pool myself as well as maintain it. A buddy has convinced me to use the BBB method, and I must say I am a little intimidated to get started.

I plan on removing the cover within in the next couple of weeks. Here is what I'm told I will need:

1) Taylor K-2006 kit
2) Baking Soda
3) Borax
4) Bleach
5) Muriatic Acid
6) CYA

It was recommended that I use the Pool pal app to run calculations and track my pool.

So am I correct in assuming that these are my first steps?

1) Remove cover
2) Add water to get it to the desired level
3) Use the kit to measure levels
4) Plug in values in pool calculator
5) Add ingredients as suggested by app

Is it that easy? Any advice to get me through this intimidating "first opening" experience would be much appreciated. My wife has already scheduled a pool party for the first of June, so I've gotta knock this out of the park...

Adam

Are there any warranty implications regarding opening? Lots of times we see that the pool has to be opened/closed by the installer to maintain the warranty?

Otherwise your process looks spot on. Once the cover is off you will have to see if it was winterized? If so any plugs will he to be removed/installed. Do you know if it was winterized? Then start circulating water provided the water is half way up the skimmer or you can isolate suction to the main drain. Let it pump for an hour or so then start testing.

Use PoolMath to calculate your pool's water volume. You will use this volume in PoolMath (or PoolPal app, I haven't used that before) for chemical additions. June is soon for a first time, you have time but I would be expedient while taking it slow ;)

And lastly, thank you buddy now. You are way ahead of the curve!

Check out more of the articles in Pool School. Here is one on opening your pool: Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool

You're on the right track. Just be sure to circulate the pool at least an hour before performing tests. Brush the whole pool while you're waiting. :p

Opening is fairly easy as long as you understand your equipment, such as your pump operation and filter operation and any associated valves.

Thanks for the feedback! I will check the above article.

The pool was indeed winterized. The guy who installed the cover winterized the pool as part of his services. I noticed he left all the plugs, etc. in the skimmer on the pump.

I don't think there are any warranty implications regarding opening, but I will check my paperwork and call the installer to verify.

We had a fiberglass pool installed last October, and the solid pool cover went on shortly afterward, so we haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

Dimensions are 17'x35' and height is 3' - 9'6"

I want to save $200-$300 and open my pool myself as well as maintain it. A buddy has convinced me to use the BBB method, and I must say I am a little intimidated to get started.

I plan on removing the cover within in the next couple of weeks. Here is what I'm told I will need:

2) Baking Soda
3) Borax

5) Muriatic Acid
6) CYA

Don't buy these (except for test kit and bleach) before you know you need them. Many of us never need any borax at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.