Hot Tub Issues

May 19, 2016
Huntsville, AL
So brief story line, I have recently rented a cabin that came with a hot tub that is recessed into the deck. There is no way to access the panels to get to pumps or anything of that nature (bad setup I know). Also, the tub has been setting for over 2 years empty.

Now, I filled the tub of with a hose (not through the skimmer) and turned it on. The tub began circulating water and heating up. However, only jets on one side of the tub are working. On the other side, only the waterfall feature is working. Could anyone give me some direction to take in trouble shooting? Could this spa possibly have to pumps and one is bad? The following link is what kind of control board it has. Other than that i know nothing about the tub. Thanks for any help!

http://www.hottubwar...l-panel-34-0197

It does have 2 pumps based on that control panel. Wavy arrow button 1 and wavy arrow button 2. Each controls one pump. One is likely not working. One of my pumps on my spa takes longer to prime on a fresh fill than the other. Do you hear any noise at all when attempting to run only the pump that's not pushing water?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks for the reply, did not realize that is what the symbols meant. I will have to pay more attention and report back now that i know each one controls a pump.

But on a side note, would I run into any issues using the spa if it does turn out that only one pump works?

The problem is, one pump is usually responsible for running when the heater is on to warm the spa and during the daily, timed filtration cycles. If that happens to be the pump that doesn't work, you're going to burn up the heater because there won't be sufficient flow while heating the water. Usually, that's pump #1. If pump #1 is working, you'll be OK... other than half functioning jets and some dead spots in the plumbing where bacteria could develop because of no circulation. No circulation means no sanitizer (chlorine or bromine) getting to those areas regularly.

So I took a closer look yesterday. The #1 pump is the working pump. I cut off #1 and just tried turning on #2 several times but could never hear it sound like the motor was running. So I do assume there is some issue with that pump or electrical system. I had the water tested and got the water treated, and the pool got up to 104 yesterday. Since there is no way to access any of the internals I am hoping to get by with just the one pump for now. Let me know if anyone thinks this is a terrible idea. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.