Doughboy powerpak pump leaking

May 12, 2009
I have a doughboy power pak pump and this is only the 2nd season I have had it (we are new pool owners) however the pump is leaking around the base of it. Any ideas on if this is normal? or what I can do to fix it?

Welcome to TFP!

Can you narrow down exactly where it is leaking? It is possible that you simply have a lose drain plug, or something else minor like that. It is also possible that the case is cracked, which would be more problematic.If you can figure out exactly where it is leaking the next step will be much simpler to figure out.

If you are facing the pump bottom of the housing unit right under the air vents. Under the air vent slots on either side of the housing unit there is a little hole right in the corner. This is where the water appears to be leaking out of. There is no water leaking from any of the tubing or from the strainer itself. The water is coming out of the bottom right hand corner hole. Hope this helps. I am new to this and haven't taken it apart because that would be scary for a new to the pool person. :wink:

Mine is the other picture you have seen, and we have a similar problem. My husband is convinced that it is condensation- it has been wet and cold, and then wet and warm. I am not sure. The reason being that when I added a little DE through the skimmer to enhance my sand filter a few weeks ago, some came out around an area of the pump in front where the pump pot strainer attaches to the motor housing. That, and there is usually a little water around the base of the pump. The pump is sitting up on concrete blocks with a piece of plywood, but it vibrates some. We had to raise it to keep it from being flooded by our torrential rains. Pictures below.
First picture- leaky pump raised on blocks and plywood with water around it on plywood (and make-shift freeze protection cover). This picture taken in winter before the DE addition. Could be condensation.
Second picture- close up of DE slurry leak and more water on plywood. Taken during warmer weather, but water was still pretty cool at the time so could be condensation, but not sure.
Leak is not major- on a warm sunny day (which we have not had much of) the water evaporates almost as fast as it leaks.

Attachments

• P1000825de leaking out.JPG
    P1000825de leaking out.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 344
  • close up pump leaking in winter.jpg
    close up pump leaking in winter.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 318
Our pump in on a concret pad and we thought it might be condensation as well. However it leaks all the time cold/warm etc. hope these pictures help. It is coming out of the bottom corner holes only not the slots or the top where the tubing is. I would attach a pic but is keeps saying the file is to big any help with that so I can post the pic.

Here is a picture of the area that is leaking. It is from the holes on either side of the plastic base. There is no leaking above them from the slots or from the area around any tubing. I just get water coming out of either corner hole, not gushing just a steady drip that puddles on the concrete pad.

Attachments

• pumpleak2.jpg
    pumpleak2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 299
  • pumpleak3.jpg
    pumpleak3.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 299
Can you turn the pump off for several hours on a warm sunny day and see if the water evaporates? I am just wondering if you are getting much more water than me, or it is just because we only run our pump avg 9 hours during daylight, so your greater amount of water is a factor of time.
Unfortunately, I am new to this as well. I had not had a change to post this until now. It was not until we hard plumbed the pump and raised it up on the blocks that we started seeing the water like this, and that was this winter.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge of pumps will help us out. I do know a Doughboy dealer in Oklahoma who has been very helpful in the past, so I will try e-mailing him and see what he says.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Has this issue been resolved? We have a doughboy power pak II as well and it is leaking in the exact same place. The pump is only at the beginning of the second year as well. It is definitely not condensation as this started when I first turned it on today!

Our pool place is CLOSED on Memorial Day...a little discouraging...

They didn't give you any trouble with getting a new one? I can't imagine it is supposed to do that- ours did not do that last year. I thought the gaskets may need replacing, but one year's use seems ridiculous. Any other doughboy pool owners out there with a better pump?

I have e-mailed the Doughboy expert with whom I have contact. I included each of our issues, with the pictures, so hopefully he will have something helpful. He stays on the internet pretty constantly, so hopefully something soon.
Please stand by for potential questions that he may have for us. You can subscribe to this particular topic, and you will receive an e-mail when one of us posts. That would be helpful so that you can answer any questions asap. Simply post something, and click the "Notify me when a reply post is posted" checkbox down below the area where you type. Click submit, and voila, you will get notified if one of us posts.
Also, redreign, where are you located and what sort of climate do you have- drier or more humid?

So just today I get a call at work from my wife to say that our pool water level is very low, just below the skimmer. I tell her to check the pump/filter/heater/liquidator connections, if all looks normal, fill it up. So she puts the hose in and goes about her day. Comes home and has overfilled the pool, and yes calls me to inform me of this, I say leave it alone, I will get to it later.
I come home, notice the pump is off, go to put it on and the GFCI has popped, I try to reset it, and it pops. I go look at the pump and it is leaking in the same area as documented above and was purchased 2 years ago, manufactured in 06. I bring it into the local pool store for warranty repair, he says they are busy and will take a week or two. Now mind you I have had experience with their repair work (cracked lid on filter) and what ever their estimate is, double it. So I bought another Powerpaq II for $200, so I will have a plug and play spare.

Something is wrong for these to have the same issue from the same timeframe though.

Here is the response from the Doughboy expert that I contacted:
First glance at your problem is leaking seals or crack in back pump housing. This problem occurs
often. Some pumps go years without seal leaks others last only a year or two before needing new
seals. Seal leaks tend to leak only when the pump is running
It could be condensation if the moisture comes and goes...
If it were anywhere between the skimmer to and including the front housing you would be sucking air
and not be able to hold flow. However, any leak you get on the suction side will only leak when the
pump is turned off.

Bob
I have responded by asking him what is involved in replacing the seals, since most of us seem to have the leak only when the pump is running.

JHere is his answer on trying to figure out where the water is coming from. We will not be able to even think about doing this until this weekend, so if you give it a try, let me know how it came out for you. His website is http://doughboy-parts.com/
Also, any other pump experts that want to chime in, please do. We are 50 miles from our dealer, so warranty work is going to require taking the pump out of the system and taking it to town, which will probably mean it sitting there for weeks while our pool turns green. Either that or a $150 service call to tell me, "yep, them there pumps leak some, it's normal."

For Self Troubleshooting
Remove the Top Housing and look for grey residue coming from behind the Back Pump Plate around the
motor shaft.
--If there is residue and apparent that the water is coming from there, it's the seal.
--You may be able to see water trails on the bottom of the unit running to drain holes.
--Check for evidence that water may have been draining down from top pump hose to filter
You may want to attach the hose again and run the pump to analyze where the water may be coming
from.

To Change Seals (#9, 10, 11, 12)
--Remove parts until the impeller is visible.
--Remove impeller by unscrewing
--Remove the 4 motor thru-bolts that holds pump backplate.
--Lay face plate on surface so that you can knock out items #9, 10, 11--
Re-Assemble Parts
Note: When assembling parts again make sure the 2 smooth surfaces face each other.

(Parts list and blow out picture taken from Bob's website, parts list is not complete, I just got the ones the were related to this issue. To see the full thing, goto http://doughboy-parts.com/powerpak-11.htm :)
Doughboy Power Pak II Single and 2 Speed, UL and NEC
0-1084-xxx, 0-1085-xxx, 0-1086-xxx, 0-1087-xxx,
0-1094-xxx, 0-1095-xxx, 0-1096-xxx
(xxx Represents 3 More Numbers)
Parts reference:
REF P/ N DESCRIPTION
1 341-1123 Insulating Sleeve
3 321-1004Pak4 1/4x-20 x 1in; Hex Nut (Pack of 4)
5 1107-1114 Top Housing
6 300-1026 Motor 1/2 HP w/Slinger
300-1027 Motor 3/4 HP w/Slinger
300-1028 Motor 1 HP w/Slinger
300-1150 Motor 1 HP Dual Speed w/slinger
300-1102 Motor 1 1/2 HP w/Slinger
300-1149 Motor 1 1/2HP Dual Speed w/slinger
300-1109 Motor 2 HP w/Slinger
8 1128-1026 Pump Back Plate
9 308-1040 O-Ring
10 305-1020 Insulator, Ceramic Mating Ring
11 1128-1030 Ceramic Mating Ring and O-ring
12 306-1006 Shaft Seal, 5/8" Dia
13 1107-1387 Impeller 1/2 HP
1107-1388 Impeller 3/4 & 1HP
1107-1547 Impeller 1-1/2 & 2HP
15 308-1099 O-Ring
16 340-1812 Pump Volute
17 340-1813 Pump Housing (Models 1084, 1085, 1086, 1087)
18 340-1218 1/4" Pipe Plug
20 1121-1364 1/2 HP Pump (Model 1084)
1121-1365 3/4 & 1HP Pump (Models 1085 & 1086)
1121-1507 1 1/2 & 2 HP Pump (Models 1087 & 1088)

Attachments

• new-ppii.gif
    new-ppii.gif
    28.7 KB · Views: 210
Bob,
We are located near Baltimore, MD - it's pretty humid here during the summer. The pump has only been used for a few days now (while leaking) - the pool dealer is telling us that they can repair the pump. It is just annoying that it's only 1 year old and having this problem. If it is only the gasket or seal, they can do it while-you-wait, but if it is something more, they will have to send it off. I asked for a loaner pump in the meantime and they "will have to check on that" - if it is under warranty, I would expect that a loaner is available. I cannot do without a pump for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info! In the event the pump has to be replaced and they don't honor the warranty, does anyone have a suggestion for a good replacement pump? I probably would not go with this one again.

I will not go with a Doughboy pump again either. I was not planning on having to do a major pump research project right now, so this is annoying. I am still trying to decide if it is condensation. Today, it was pretty dry for a change, and I did not see much moisture from the pump. We still need to contact our dealer and see what they have to say, but since they are 50 miles away, we are either going to have to take it to them and wait, or pay a $150 traveling call, and then wait. We may get brave and crack open the thing ourselves, but I want to see what our "local" dealer has to say first. Ours is under warranty as well. I intend to contact Doughboy and give them a piece of my mind if the dealer is not cooperative- surely the dealer must answer to the company- somebody always answers to someone eventually. The trick is finding out where the buck stops.

Note: My name is Amy. Bob is the guy in Oklahoma who is a long time Doughboy parts dealer from whom I get info and parts. He is retired, and has a lot of legacy knowledge. His kids now run his pool business. He did not think that they had been seeing an increase in problems recently with this particular pump, but it is hard to say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.