Adding "Vacuum Port" to existing pool...

Apr 4, 2016
Grimsby Ontario
I have an idea to add a vacuum port to my pool…I think it might work..I only have 1 skimmer basket, 2 returns..

If you have followed my previous posts , I am replacing my pump with the Hayward 5206 Variable Speed, I am also adding a Salt and Swim to the pool, I had an air leak as well, and since I suffer from the renovators disease “Ifyourgonnamightaswella” I am going to build a new pool equipment pad and re-plumb.

Sooo, I was thinking of buying a deck box, setting it on the pool deck, plumb a suction line into it, through the back, and attach the vacuum hose. Then I could use the deck box to store the vacuum head, brush and hose. Should I add a check valve inside the deck box, to stop water from siphoning back into the pool, keeping some water in the line?

I would also like to use it as a “Main Drain”, every once and a while to help circulate the water, by leaving the vacuum in the pool upside down.

I think for operating this,
I would shut down the pump if running,.
Drop the vacuum and hose in pool
Adjust the valve to either mix skimmer and vacuum or just vacuum
Turn pump on- self priming would start

Any issues that I am not aware of?

View attachment 48351

I don't know how often you would have to fill the hose with "fresh" pool water to resist algae growth in it. Post pics when done, I am contemplating the same thing. The box would be a convenient place to store the hose and a simple cap/plug would keep the hose full. Or maybe a check valve installed on the hose (vacuum end)?

Or... you could just buy a robot and never vacuum again.. ;)

Before Robot I used this...

Vacumn1 Port.jpg

What I liked about it was you could turn the vacuum line on slowly to keep the pump from caveating.

Jim R.

From personal experience, self-priming through a vacuum hose doesn't work well, Takes way too long. I think you're gonna have to at least unhook the hose long enough to fill the majority of it with water.

I'd put an inline leaf canister in somewhere so you don't load up the pump basket or have pine needles slip through and get stuck in the impeller. And don't skimp on the valve. A Home Depot cheapie won't last. But the idea is sound.

Thanks for the feed back!

The robot is not in the budget this year - not after a Variable Speed Pump and Saltwater Chlorine Generator. Although I am keeping my eye out for a deal...

Never thought of the inline leaf canister- you are so right about pine needles. When I bought the house, I thought, no deciduous trees, no leaves just two pine trees - do they ever stop dropping needles...

Oh - I can also understand how ancient cities would end up buried- I was removing the old patio stones that were used for the pool pad, to find another layer of patio stones, to also find another layer of patio stones, to also find a path of stepping stones shaped like feet...and a set of aluminium blinds...

I'd worry about airlock in the hose as it comes up into the box and then back down.

Why not re-plumb one of your returns into a dedicated vac line? That's how my pool is set up, shallow end return, skimmer in the middle of the pool, and a deep end low wall vac line. If the skimmer level ever gets too low, then we at least have the deep end low wall vac line to pull water into the pump as a backup.

As for the pine trees, they do stop...after you cut them down. I thought the same thing for the last two years, but we just removed a couple of trees - a ~40' pine and 60' oak. Both were beautiful, but within 10-15' of the pool and wreaked havoc all season, heck all year. The extra sun we see is well worth it now, if it ever warms up enough to swim.

Mitch - I too only have 2 returns and would be very hesitant to give one up for a vac line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I replumbed last year at my old pad as best as I could, to have a pair of diverters to allow the vac line to be switched to a return and back, as needed. Unfortunately, I plumbed in an airlock and had another motor that blew up after doing so. I'm not going to be trying that again...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.