Hi! New to forum and pools... really hard water, no other problems so far.

Hello there!
We recently put in a pool, and we are maintaining it ourselves. No trouble so far; minimal usage as of yet.
Little robot does his thing well. :cool:
Getting the hang of the chlorination system thing- gotta change it when it is low vs. full, or if it rained...
We have incredibly hard water, so the alkalinity and ph are pretty high.(San Antonio, TX)
Should I worry?
Dogs will probably be swimming soon enough... anything to watch out for there?

Any tips appreciated.

pool.jpg

Last edited:
Alright! Another local. Although today doesn't look as pretty outside as it does in your pic. :) Be safe out there and let us know if you have any questions. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

- - - Updated - - -

After re-reading your first post, I do want to emphasize some things....
- What chlorination system are you using?
- How are you testing your water?
- Should you worry about your pH, TA, and hard water (CH)? .... absolutely.

Let me know how you're testing and chlorinating and we'll go from there. Great to have you with us.

Cool, thanks.

yah-not so nice today... lol

So, the chlorination system is a Pentair, rainbow model- attached to the pump...
test strips labeled w/ FCl, Alk, pH, & CyA
What should we get?
Should I use acid?
I hesitate to start a chem storm... it is doing ok.
But I don't want to ruin the glass on the light..?

thanks!

Glad you replied and asked. Let's get you fixed-up right away. Here you go:
- The Pentair Rainbow 320 is an in-line chlorinator ((tablets/pucks). Those are okay for "short-term" use (example away on vacation), but not for normal every-day use. What the pool store (PS) doesn't tell you is that they add stabilizer to your water which increases your CYA to such a high level they later come back and say ... "drain your pool". We've all learned to use regular liquid bleach as our primary sanitizer. Hit your local HEB (Bravo) or Wal-Mart (Great Value) for their "regular generic bleach. No scents, no splashless stuff, just the Bravo or Great Value. It's one of the purest forms of chlorine.
- Testing .... you MUST have either a Taylor K-2006 or TF-100. I have the TF-100 and highly recommend it ... with the "Speed Stir" to mix like a pro. The PS will give you poor advice and inaccurate testing that doesn't work and keeps you coming back for more to pay their electric bill. Don't do it. Testing your water is NOT difficult, and you'll be very happy you are in control.
- We use acid to lower two things - pH and TA. To know if they are too high would require a good test kit. Until you get one of those kits, you can pick-up a small HTH-brand pool test kit at Wal-Mart that tests pH and TA. Those are fairly reliable for those two tests.

Bleach is safe for your pool and you because we ensure the FC (free chlorine) and stabilizer (CYA) match-up together as noted on the Chlorine/CYA hart (below). They go together to keep the water safe and sanitized. That's what the "good" test kits are for. So I would really encourage you to get one. In my sig below you'll see other links to recommended chemicals and a calculator. Those are all you need for daily management. Oh .... and the Pool School page link below. :) Take some time to read those. They help a lot. Once you know the basics, it sticks and this won't seem so overwhelming. It's not like school chemistry, it's quite easy once you have the right kit. We'll help you. :)

Oh, and I thought you might want to know .... by using the Poolmath calculator (link below) I determined that for your size pool, a quarter-gallon of regular HEB Bravo bleach (8.25% strength) raises your FC by about 2 ppm. Once you get your test kit, you'll see that you can turn-off the in-line chlorinator and simply add that half gallon of bleach to your pool each day (near the return jets). That's about all it takes. I add a half gallon of Bravo bleach to my (18K) pool each afternoon. That's it.

Thank you so much!
So, I've been on vacation for a couple of moths? LOL
Big HEB fan here... will talk to hubby, and start studying here.
I found this site a while back, but was kind of intimidated by the level of knowledge with the chemicals!!

:rolleyes:

*pH kinda high...
will get better testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.