Tell me I'm Crazy! Clear blanket = Algae acceleration

May 19, 2008
Deeetroit
All right, I've had my pool since 2007, and have been following the BBC/TFP method since 2008. for the first 7 years, I had 2, 12-14 mil blue top, black underneath solar blankets, never, ever, had algae in my pool, even when going on vacation for 10 days, just shock the pool the evening before we leave.

Fast forward to spring of 2014, when I bought an 8 mil clear solar blanket, since said purchase, the past 2 summers, I have had 4 to 6 green pools, and have followed all of the instructions here. pools were crystal clear upon opening both years, CYA in the 40 to 60 range.

The only other possibility I can think of could be the steps inside the pool, I remove them for the winter, and power wash, and thoroughly scrub with simple green every year prior to putting them in the pool. this year I will spray them down with bleach as well.

I'm only asking this, because I'm ready to ditch the clear blanket in favor of a blue one.

So, am I crazy, considering the only thing that has changed is the solar blanket?

Algae grows more easily in areas where there is UV light. The only time I have ever noticed algae in my pool was one spring I was a little too slow to open and I noticed some in my skimmer, which is covered with a transparent cover.

I suspect you may have been getting by with borderline numbers by covering the pool with a dark cover.

I had a blue cover and last year changed to clear as it is supposed to let in more light and hopefully help with heating the water. Haven't really noticed any difference in water quality and no problems with algae. I do occasionally flood the top of the cover with pool water and brush it to keep it clean. With the darker cover I may not have noticed how much dirt seems to accumulate on top of it.

This year I have been using a 16mil diamond clear cover and I can say I have been "using" more chlorine than last year, maybe 1 or 2ppm a day..

With that said my SWG has had no problem keeping up with demand.. what I am not sure of is: is it because the pool is being heated and a higher temp is using the 1ppm or is it just from the cover being on there...

I love some testing but I have not thought up a good test for this yet... I may have to wait until the middle of summer and consistent temp's to test..

Now that you mention it, I noticed the increased chlorine consumption, but didn't put two and two together, I guess this season, I'll try upping my minimum FC level, Submersing the cover once a week, and also remove the cover for an afternoon after a couple of days on non use, and see what that gets me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.