High CH and TA

Apr 29, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
So I have been worried about high CH and TA. Here are my most recent test numbers after adding 121 oz of muriatic acid the day before (Ph was high @ >=8.2:)

FC 3.5
CC 0
TA 200
CH 550
CYA 30
Ph 7.2

I am wondering why TA didnt go down at all after adding Muriatic acid? (Was previously 190-200) Is my CH too high? I dont want scaling and dont want to have to deal with Ph swings with high TA.

What do y'all think?

I think you need to aerate to drive the pH back up and repeat the acid treatment.

The TA result isn't too worrisome. As it says in Extended Test Kit Directions,
The precision of the measurement is plus or minus one drop when up to 10 drops of titrant are used, or plus or minus 10% of the final reading, when more than 10 drops of titrant are used.
You're within that range. Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath indicates you should have seen about 18 TA drop. You might want to check the notes about static electricity, too.

Ok, I will get both returns breaking the surface when I get home. I forgot to mention I tested the tap water I have been adding to the pool after back-washing/vacuuming and what not and its about the same CH as the pool. I will keep working on the TA with the acid and repeat. (I have been wiping the bottle tip with a damp cloth as directed)

Water looks great though, so I have that going for me!

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.