Thoughts about this thread with 30ppm nitrates

Several different forms of nitrogen in fertilizer. It depends on if you want fast release of nitrogen or slow release and how much nitrogen per pound of material you want.

The most common are ammonium sulfate, ammonium nitrate and urea.

Ammonium Nitrate. Trouble is, since Timothy McVeigh blew up the Federal building with it, you can't find straight Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer. It's all mixed in with other stuff.

Maybe in Cali....I can get a nice 2lbs bag of it at my local hardware store and the Animal Feed store down the road from me sells it in larger quantities (registration required)....I once made gunpowder as a kid using my dad's ammonium nitrate, charcoal briquettes and sulfur powder (for his roses). Worked pretty good and I got a couple of good swats on the rear by my mom for doing something stupid and dangerous.

The source of the ammonia in that pool was probably the fertilizer then?

Probably. Any standard formulation of fertilizer will have ammoniacal-based nitrogen in it (dissolves easily and is quickly converted by plants and soil bacteria). Urea-based nitrogen fertilizers are usually used in large scale farming although it is possible to get it in other formulations especially by a lawn company that might be using a commercial blend of fertilizer.

[SOAP-BOX RANT]

As for advice, I disagree with the notion that nitrates are unimportant. They are algae food and far, far worse than phosphates. If phosphates are a 24-hr all you can eat buffet, then nitrogen in your water is like an all-you-can-eat, 24 hour DESSERT buffet with every kind of cheese cake and flavor of ice-cream imaginable. While I don't dispute the fact that a properly chlorinated swimming pool will resist an algae bloom, having that much nitrogen in the water is bad. My analogy would be this - it's like a pool full of ammonium nitrate and gasoline....you can put up all the "NO SMOKING" signs you like but all it takes is one match and KABOOM! If the OP has that much nitrogen in his water from fertilizer exposure, then doing a few partial drains or being very aggressive over the season with backwashing and water exchanges is a good idea. Being in NJ, he's going to have to close his pool and if he doesn't do something to rectify the nitrate problem he will have a better than 50/50 chance of opening his pool to a green swamp no matter how diligent he is at closing it. I'm not saying he has to go crazy and drain the entire pool, but he should at least be informed about what nitrates do and what his options are for lowering them if it's something he would like to pursue.

[SOAP-BOX RANT ENDED]

JoyFul - Your rant is kinda why I posted the question. I just didn't know how to get there from where I was...

Again, I'm not saying the guy has to run out and drain his pool. Nitrates are not good but it's not the end of the world either. I think if the guy wanted to, a partial drain isn't a bad thing (sounds like he has high CYA as it is) or he could just be really aggressive with backwashing over the season. I certainly wouldn't want that high a level of nitrates in my pool water so I can't say to someone else that it's not a problem.

Thankfully I have no lawn to worry about...the rock landscaping doesn't require fertilizer ;)

Moved to the Deep End. I do not believe nitrates are a problem that needs to be addressed by the average pool owner. I considered closing it completely but decided to let it stand........ even sure why but it will stand for now.not

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.