New to AG pool in TX....

May 11, 2016
Texas
Howdy all, I am new here and new to above ground pools. We had a huge homemade inground pool since for 30 years that was easy to take care of compared to this above ground. Totally different environments.

I too have given up on the pool store water testing. Always different results and then the recommendation to buy something else to dump in to fix the issue. When you finally discover root cause, you wonder if they sold you all those chemicals intentionally knowing they wouldn't work. I don't think that is the case but still very aggravating.

Quick info on current pool condition..let it go throughtout the winter due to it getting filled with leaves from all the huge oak trees which have since been trimmed to hopefully mitigate that issue...drained and refilled twice due to first time shocked using granular dichlor and raised cya to crazy levels but that was before I found this place.

I think I am on the right track. Testing chlorine daily
PH was 7.4 yesterday
CC was 2 which is odd because it was 1 the day before?
FC 11 was 12 day before
TA showed to be 150

I have since determined I shouldn't be testing anything but FC and CC at this point, correct?
Also, water is cloudy but clearing up slowly, backwashing about every two to three days.

Thanks folks for all the wonderful info you have here.

Bill

Are you currently in the SLAM process?

Thanks for the welcome. I am currently in the SLAM process. If I am understanding this correctly, I need to maintain a Chlorine level of 12 since my CYA was between 20 and 30 the other day. This is what I am attempting to do at this point. I live just south of San Antonio and we have had quite a bit of rain which I am enjoying for the yard but not digging for the pool.