My first pool

Hello All!

I moved from Western WA to AZ a few years ago and recently bought a house with a small pool. (Jokingly referred to around here as a "Spool"). It's about the size of nice above ground, but I don't know exactly how to figure out how much water it holds. It's an octagon shaped liner pool with a Nautilus FNS DE filter. Not sure of the filter size either. I can get that detail once the sun comes back up and I can see the equipment... I hope. I had a spa in WA for over 10 years, but this is a whole different animal. And I am having a nightmare of a time.

I have questions a-plenty. Everything from hi pressure & low suction to how I can diplomatically deal with a repair tech who insists that I am not capable of caring for a pool myself. I know there's a few things I can't do (taking the pump apart or disassembling the whole rack of plates inside the filter, for example). But I'm not "mechanically challenged" so there's no reason I can't do daily or weekly maintenance, right?

So I hit the internet - and I landed here. Thank you for creating a place where I might find some of the answers I seek!

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to tell my story. Once I do, I'll be posting in "green pools"

Welcome! :wave:
Hi pressure and low suction point to a clogged filter. Opening a DE filter and cleaning the grids is really not all that hard. If you've ever assembled anything from IKEA successfully, the filter is well within your ability.

And if that doesn't fix things, then you look at a bad gauge and a clogged pump impeller. The gauge isn't much harder than changing a light bulb. The impeller is about on par with the filter disassembly.

You can probably handle this stuff.

If you get your own proper test kit, and you can count and know basic arithmetic, in about two weeks of testing and dosing, you'll probably have a better grasp of pool chemistry than most pool store clerks. I had to go buy a vacuum and a hose and a better brush and a few other odds and ends after I fired the pool service. By the third month without paying him, I was in the black and I've just continued to save money ever since.

Seriously, follow our methods and your water will end up clearer and sparklier than you thought possible. It won't smell like a locker room or irritate skin or eyes and it will only take a few minutes a day to keep it that way.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm doing my research.

The equipment and above ground plumbing needed some help when I bought the house. The sad thing is that the repair tech has the attitude that the only way I will have a healthy pool is to hire a "pool guy". He then scoffed at the idea that I could manage to clean the pool itself, much less the filter. He actually told me that I "just needed to keep throwing money at it and eventually it would be fine". He is supposed to be the best in town, but his misogynistic attitude is starting to get on my nerves. You think by now I'd be immune to it, after all I was playing with cars while the other girls were playing with dolls and while they were learning how to put on makeup I was learning how to ride motorcycles...

This forum is going to be invaluable to me! And now I"m off to do some more reading.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you can maintain your own spool and save money and do a better job. Even if there are a few things you can't do punt that guy and find someone better.

Hi, I can't give you advice on some of your issues, but one thing I can guarantee you is that if you want to simplify taking care of the chemical aspect of your pool, you need to buy TFP test kit. It has changed everything for me in terms of maintenance and cost of chemicals. My water is really well balanced and I don't have to make a weekly trip to the pool store and have any doubts about what I need. I also found that people were super helpful getting me started and giving me confidence. Good luck!!!

HI! Oh happy day! Another can do girl! AND from one of my favorite place in the world! We have visited there many times for the Jet ski races. LOVE the area and people!

You can do anything with your pool. We have videos and pictures and people willing to walk you through it all!

:hug: we got ya!

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support