Need guidance with SLAM

tko

Apr 13, 2016
Portland/OR
I decided to post a new thread instead of just adding to my "intro" newbie thread.

So after getting by TF100 kit and stir stick, found out CYA=30 and FC was around 6, with cloudy greenish/blue water (suspicions of algae confimed by feedback from forum in response to my pictures). I started the SLAM on Monday night, and based on pool math, have trying to keep it at FC=12. I added 2 gallons on Monday night to take it fro 6 to 12, and yesterday, it fell to 11 so I added about a half gallon. Today, it stayed around 12, then fell to 11 so I added another half gallon. I also added some DE per instructions to help the sand filter, mixing it with water and pouring it into the skimmer a little at a time. I've been brushing the sides of the pool too. The water now looks milkier. My questions:

1. Does the slow reduction of FC (CC goes between 0 - .5) mean anything?
2. Is the milkiness from dying algae, me brushing, or is the DE getting released into the water? The DE looks suspiciously milky as well is why I'm asking.

My sand filter PSI went to 30 a couple times today, so I backwashed to 18, rinsed, and added a little more DE.

Is it normal for SLAM to make the water cloudier before it gets clearer? I had imagined that SLAM would require a ton of bleach, but that hasn't been the case.

Each pool is different. More junk in the pool uses more chlorine. So, less chlorine usage means less junk. Good right? It is best to back wash your filter when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. The milky is probably dead algae. Keep up the good work! Brush, test, add, repeat!

You are doing it, I agree, it is probably dead algae and with your FC lowering and your CC fluctuating means your SLAM is working :)

View attachment 48337

So this is what it looks like now after vacuuming last week, and starting my SLAM a couple days ago. Using a metal brush, I'm having trouble scrubbing the stains off the side and off the steps. Will this get easier once the algae is all dead, or will I need a stain remover?
pool_steps.jpg

My FC was 12 last night, and this morning, it was 11.5. CC around .5 and has not exceeded that. I'm wondering if I should add more DE or be patient - it didn't come with a scoop or anything, so I'm eyeballing. Have probably a cup or a cup and a half, but nowhere close to the 1lb that is instructed on the box.

Not sure what happened to my picture of the pool in that last post. I'm now getting a message that it exceeds quota, but the pictures are 64kb and 39kb. I have a 100kb picture and it is't throwing an error with that. I will have to figure out how to post the pics.

Here's a link to photobucket - hope that works. This includes a picture of the pool earlier this month before my husband vacuumed to waste.

TFP by tinacaoho | Photobucket

Mmmmm! Tilapia!
homer.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool is looking good but I still see 3 floating puck feeders, are you still using them? Your CYA was 30 and if there are pucks in there it can be much higher in just a week.

Yikes, I'll get rid of them, though they may be empty. I just tested cya again on Wed and it was the same. (Between 20 and 30 line but closer to 30). Thank you for letting me know. When this is done, should I not use the tablets at all?

What should the pucks be labeled. Oxidizer?

So I don't understand why my FC would slowly be rising today.
8:45pm last night: 12
8:30am: 12.5
10:00am: 13
2pm: 13.5

I removed the pucks this morning (and my FC hasn't been rising the last few days with those in). I have not added any chlorine.

The CC was 0 this morning but .5 at 2pm.

Ok, not sure what was going on with the FC that day - maybe I messed up the test somehow. Washed off everything and started again the next day and it seems to be behaving now.

I'm continuing to SLAM - checking FC/CC about 3 times a day. I don't appear to have much FC loss if at all over night, but it usually falls off to 10-10.5 by 11am (it's not sunny here, so I assume that's algae eating it). It never gets below 10 since I bring it back up.

My pool is slowly unclouding (though once I brush the walls, it clouds right back up). Added DE to the skimmer, and I backwash once or twice a day (usual PSI around 18 on my filter, so I backwash when it goes over 25. I know I need to be patient, but wondering how long it will be before my pool is swimmable. There is still a little bit of debris that I'll probaby need to vacuum when my new hose comes. Any chance that it will be clear by Jun 4 for my daughter's graduation party?

Also, I notice that my steps look orangy, but it seems I can brush it off (then whatever it is settles again), and there are a few orangy looking stains at the bottom of the pool - I'd have to dive down there to do the vitamin C test. Pool store said my iron was a little high when they tested, but I want to get past this SLAM before tackling stains, as I think I need to drop chlorine levels to do that, right?

In the mean time, SLAMing, brushing, shooing away mating ducks.... :/

Keep at it. Your pressure is still rising significantly, meaning you're still filtering dead algae. Keep scrubbing as best you can as well. It keeps the dead algae stirred up and able to be filtered an removes any algae that may be clinging to life on the pool surface. You're done when you have 1 ppm FC loss overnight and you can clearly see heads or tails on a dime in the deepend... OK maybe a quarter. Maintain that shock level FC until you're clear.

Thank you! Will keep at it. How much DE should I add after I backwash, assuming that backwashing flushes it out. I lost about 1/2 inch of water backwashing.

I was hoping this would take a week but no such luck. June 4 is still the target date for a pretty pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.