When to SLAM

natedogg

Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2016
Warren MI
I've just opened my 19,000 gallon IG pool with 4 ft and 6 ft deep end and there is 0 chlorine and CYA is below 30 and PH test was yellow TA was 10 ppm, I filled half the pool with Detroit city water so that accounts for low levels. My pool is clear so I was curious if I need to SLAM the pool or just get the pH fixed, CYA up, and bleach. The pics below show the water and this was opened and filled 2 weeks ago. I figure the water should be SLAMmed because it sat so long, but it has been cold in MI and the water looks good so I'm not sure what action to take. I appreciate all insight!

!IMG_1813.jpgIMG_1814.jpgIMG_1815.jpg

You can do an overnight chlorine loss test to determine if there is a need to slam. The water looks a little cloudy to me but that could just be the lighting in the photo. Its a simple test to run and if you pass then go ahead and balance the water. Since your FC is 0 go ahead and add enough chlorine to reach 10ppm before you run the test.

Yes, you should SLAM. First though, you need to adjust and make sure the pH is at 7.2. Anything below that is too low right now. CYA needs to be at least 30. If you still see the black dot when full, at least add another 10 ppm worth of stabilizer. Then increase FC to 12 and do everything you read on the SLAM page (link below). Good luck!

If ever in doubt, as Zea3 stated, do an OCLT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.