No chlorine

Apr 30, 2016
Merrick/NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Opened the pool about a month ago but went away for a couple of weeks.
I purchased the test kit. Just ran the two chlorine tests...the one in the blue box (Water was colorless) and the one in the "chlorine only" cylinder, did not get a pink color.
So I'm assuming I do not have any chlorine in the pool, same goes for free chlorine.

My SWG is at 30%.

Any suggestions/help much appreciated!

First, just want to cover your test kit details. The chlorine test in the blue box is called an OTO test, it measures total chlorine which is FC+CC. If it was colorless then you have neither. The other one is an FAS-DPD test, it measures FC, then you add the 5 drops of R-0003 and if it turns pink you have CC and can measure that. Just wanted to make sure you have the right understanding of the tests.

Ok, so you have no chlorine, which is a problem. Have you measured your CYA level? If it is low then you might be losing FC to the sun. Either way you will want to get some chlorine in there right away so adding liquid chlorine to supplement your SWG will get your level up immediately.

How does your water look?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes those are the tests.
Water looks clear. Will check CYA level tomorrow.

So just add generic store brand liquid bleach? In skimmer or throughout pool? How much?

Thanks again!

Ok just took my CYA level and that's very low also, I was able to see the black dot when cylinder was completely full.
I have my bleach ready to go for the chlorine, should I deal with the CYA level
1st?
Any suggestions and help much appreciated!

You can do them at the same time. Add bleach, then get sock full of CYA hanging in front of a return.

edit: While you are waiting for the sock to dissolve you could fill out your signature :)

Ok, bleach has been added, as well as the conditioner. When should I retest again?

And Robbie thank you for clarifying about the conditioner not going in the skimmer,
I know I read to do that somewhere and that's where I originally put it.

Also not sure why my signature is not showing up, it's filled out. Is there a reason it's not visible to people??

Thanks everyone, this really is a great site! Very helpful and informAtive

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.