Clarification question for a newbie

jmlorfam

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2008
Hanover, PA
Newbie question. OK I have obtained enough info from this site to go it alone and close/open my own pool on my own. I opened my pool this weekend and aside from that G#% D#*&m pool cover i believe it went well. So now the specifics...When it opened it was a translucent green color with the normal crud at the bottom. We cleaned it up a bit and tested.

Results- FC0 TC0 PH 7.2 TA 110 CYA 30.
Action Add Sodium Hypoclorite 68% till FC & TC were reading at 5ppm
Monday results FC5 TC5 PH 7.2 TA 120 CYA 30 (Still not bad)

Now the question...the green is gone and the pool is blue but cloudy. We have been vacuuming twice daily and today i threw that pool cleaning tank monster in to help rid the pool of debris.

How long should i wait before the cloudy water becomes clear? Im not ready to let loose the farm language round the kids but its close.

P.S. I have a TRICLOPS filter system by jacuzzi.

IF you are sure you killed all the algae then you just need to wait for the filter to clear the pool. Depending on the kind of filter you have it can take up to a week sometimes. As a precaution I like to hold the pool at shock level (about 15 ppm in your case) until the pool is clear.

Thank you for the prompt answer. I wasn't sure if green always means algae. But I will go ahead and crank up the chlorine to shock level (15ppm).
I used the last of the pool store supplies and am now on the BBB method (should of seen the look on the clerks face when i had all that bleach and baking soda in my cart). So will add the appropriate level of chlorine to kill off anything else.

Again thanks for everything. this is my first post, but i have been getting info for sometime now, and this site is awesome. :lol:

jmlorfam said:
Thank you for the prompt answer. I wasn't sure if green always means algae. But I will go ahead and crank up the chlorine to shock level (15ppm).
my first post, but i have been getting info for sometime now, and this site is awesome. :lol:
Usually it does, especially on opening. If the water changes color right after shocking AND the water is clear then it is more likely metals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.