LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
Stockton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Tested the pool for the first time this season using the new chemicals refill kit. Something is not right because I haven't seen this kind of results previously.

pH: 8.2+
T/A: 200
FC: 0
CC: 0
CYA: 0

I'm wondering if the refill kit is problematic or is it the few rains we had in this part of parched California a few months ago.
The pool calculator suggests adding 270 Oz Liquid Chlorine, 60 Oz Muriatic Acid and 80 Oz Stabilizer. Do that seem the right way to go?

It's possible the CYA went away without the rain. Mine was gone, it's been suggested that it turned to ammonia and then to nitrogen (I think).

Are you intending to SLAM or jumping into maintenance mode?

Since this is your first time opening and there may be a concern for ammonia in the water, please do the following:
*** (FIRST) - Lower pH to 7.2-7.5. Test about 15 minutes after adding acid with pump running to ensure you have reached your target or repeat as necessary)***
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

If there is ammonia, the FC every 10-min will take care of it. If there's not, you'll soon finish this and be on your way to a regular "SLAM" (link below) to ensure the water is free from organics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.