Algae in the sand filter- possible solution

Sep 14, 2007
Virginia
I was posting last night and today trying to get help on a SWG problem and realized I should pass on a tip I found toward the end of last summer. We installed a AutoPilot sc-48 in the fall of 2007 but didn't really use it until last season. I had been using the BBB method before and it worked great. Last summer I started having problems with algae and we opened the filter to find it full of green gunk. We replaced the sand and shocked to clear the problem. Unfortunately, we kept going through the same problem over and over even though my water balance seemed perfect. We decided we might have a problem with our equipment, either the wrong set-up between the pump and filter or some defective piece of equipment, and called for a service call from a trusted pool installer. He figured out our problem pretty quickly. We were running our pump mostly at night, only for about 4 to 5 hours during the day. This had served me well with the BBB method as I added bleach in the evening and ran the pump at night. Our pool guy pointed out that our filter was sitting in the hot sun for hours on end building up algae during the day. We started running the pump for the biggest part of the day and turn off when the sun went down. We haven't had a problem since. I haven't shown any CC since we switched the timer on the SWG and the sand looked great when we opened the pool last month. I hope this helps someone as I have found many helpful solutions on here since the site began.

Stacy
18X32 vinyl, Autopilot, sand filter, 2 HP pump with 2 skimmers, 2 returns and a bottom drain

I just realized that I forgot to mention the algae was coming from the returns. I could kill it in the pool and vacuum it all up but I would come back out the next morning and find algae (sometimes it looked dead and sometimes it was still green) spread out where the returns blow. That's why we thought there was something wrong with the filter. I found a lot of posts last year detailing the same problem but nothing else we tried worked. Again, I hope this helps someone.

Algae requires sunlight to grow, so it can't grow in the filter. It won't necessarily die in there without chlorine, but it can't grow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.