Ground Prep Question

May 11, 2016
Billerica, MA
Hi All,

New to forum and a soon-to-be new pool owner. Great info here. Located in Massachusetts.

I've had a 15' intex for the last 2 years - it has been a great addition to the backyard - but last summer a family friend was replacing his 27' above ground with an in-ground and it was offered to us for free (just had to disassemble and move...not easy work...)

In getting ready for the pool install - we've picked the spot we want, are in the process of obtaining permits and have talked to a local contractor/bobcat operator about leveling the spot (spot checked with transit - area is about 8" off from low to high side).

Here's my question - his plan is to dig down 1', place 6" of 3/4 stone, compact, then place 6" of sand for pool base. Everything I'm reading leads to me to believe this may be a little overkill. Am I correct with that?

Should I be asking him to just dig the high spots down and level the area/make sure there are no rocks/roots then bring in the sand? Or maybe just have him level the ground and plan on using a gorilla pad/foam cove on level virgin soil?

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Evan

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I would personally prefer the method he proposes as then you know you are starting on a nice firm base. Perhaps a little overkill, but more of a permanent solution.

If you have do not have any issues with standing water in the pool location, I would just have him level you a spot and set your pavers n go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.