Using solar cover for first time. Water flowing across the top.

fields_g

Dec 25, 2014
Rockville, MD
This is the second season owning a pool. The house came with a clear solar cover and I decided to give it a try this year. The previous owner didn't even trim it to fit the pool, so I have done a rough cut to shape. It is resting on the pool to flatten out before making a finishing cut. My problem....

The returns do not enter the pool at 90 degrees, but point into a curve at the end of the pool. This causes some surface agitation that is able to get on top of the cover and flow down one of the seams the entire length of the pool. The point of the cover is to reduce evaporation, but with this flow, it seems that it would be less effective. I am thinking I need to find a way to make that side of the cover more buoyant, or to attach a chunk of the scrap and extend it up the pool wall (The cover was just inches to short in either direction to begin with). Are there eyeball adaptors for returns that enter the pool on an angle?

Any ideas? I could provide pictures tonight if that would be helpful.

The cover was its original 20'x44' rectangle. I have a freeform pool. It is short on all dimensions no matter how you rotated it (just by inches). Where I trimmed, it still goes up the wall, past the coping. Where the water is going onto the cover, is one of the locations it was too short to even touch the wall. The returns enter the pool on a 45 degree angle and do not have any kind of fixture on the exit. Do they make some sort of eyeball for a 45 degree return?

huh, short of gluing a threaded fitting in there I am at a loss. I do wonder if you could measure the I.D. of your pipe maybe you could get a fitting pushed in enough that friction held it. But then it would be sticking out.

Folding the cover over on itself so the water doesn't get on it might help but it would leave that area open to evaporate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.