Are my Aqua Rite cell and/or control panel toast

May 24, 2013
Essex County, NJ
I have an Aqua Rite t-cell-15 and control panel rev 1.4 that was installed in July 2008 when my pool was built. I have (or think I have) maintained the t-cell properly every season, removing and rinsing with a strong jet of water 3 or 4 times a season and I've never seen any deposits or buildup in the cell. When I opened my pool this past weekend, I gave the cell an acid bath (4 parts water, 1 part muriatic acid) for 10 mins as per Hayward instructions. Yesterday, I turned on the SWG for the first time after bringing the salt level in the pool up to 3200 (tested with Taylor salt water test) and last night the Aqua Rite control panel showed a salt level of 3200 before I shut the pumps off.

This morning when I checked the salt level on the Aqua Rite control panel about 15 mins after the pumps came on, the salt reading was 1600 and the check salt and inspect cell lights were on. I tested my water again with the Taylor salt water test kit and the salt level is 3200.

I don't have a diagnostics manual for my revision (1.4), the nearest diagnostic manual I can find is for rev1.5 which is from 2009 and there are some obvious differences so I'm not sure if the diagnostics in the Rev1.5 manual will apply to my equipment.

The readings on the control panel are (I know what some mean but not all):
Avg Salt: 1600
Temp: 61
Voltage: 31.1
Amps: 0.00
Chlorine %: 52P
Instant salt level: - 0
Compatibility setting: AL-0
Rev: R1.4
Power light is on
Check Salt light is on
Inspect Cell light is on
Switch set to Auto

I realize it's 7 years old and maybe it's time to be replaced but if I don't have to, I'd rather not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do or try??

I tried something based on what I read in another thread. I turned the switch off and waited about a minute. Then I turned the switch to Super Chlorinate. It turned on and started generating. I waited a couple of minutes and got these readings from the panel.
Avg Salt: 2400
Temp: 63
Voltage: 25.2
Amps: 4.88
Chlorine %: 100P
Instant salt level: - 3200
Compatibility setting: AL-0
Rev: R1.4
Power light is on
Generating light is on
Super Chlorinate light is on
Check Salt light is blinking
Inspect Cell light is blinking
Switch set to Super Chlorinate

I'm not sure what to make of this. Maybe it's the cold temp of the water. I don't want to leave it super chlorinating for too long.

I have the same unit bought in 2003, my thread was from yesterday. I'm going to buy a new unit, for the price and effort, it's not worth trying to fix it. Buying a replacement unit is going to be easier for me, but it will cost more but save me time. I am curious about the cost of chlorine vs. SWG. I like the salt system as I have not had to ever add chlorine until yesterday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.