Advice Requested On Building Solar Blanket Panels

Tanny

Apr 25, 2016
Gainesville Florida
Hi all,

Using advice offered in another thread, I'm now considering a solar blanket for our pool. Here's my tentative plan so far, please offer any suggestions.

1) Create 6X6 squares with PVC.

2) Cut solar blanket material to fit the square.

3) Put grommets around edge of solar blanket.

4) Attach solar blanket to PVC with plastic zip ties.

Our pool is 18 X 36 so I'd need 18 squares to cover pool.

I don't care about the cost, or labor of construction.

I am somewhat concerned about having to move 36 squares on and off the pool twice a day. It boils down to how much of a temperature boost I can get from a solar blanket. I could use help estimating that benefit. A five degree boost sounds worth it, a 2 degree boost seems too small to merit a new daily chore.

QUESTIONS:

1) Please help estimate temperature boost. What info should I provide?

2) Where do I get solar blanket material? What kind etc? Know nothing about this.

3) Has anybody here put grommets in a solar blanket?

4) Feel free to suggest alternate plans.

Many thanks!

As opposed to a conventional rolled solar blanket? Maybe I'm missing something but what you're proposing doesn't seem to be adding any efficiency.

I'm trying to engineer a solution I can manage by myself. Instead of one huge blanket, smaller panels more easily handled.

Oops, I screwed up my math above. I would need eighteen 6X6 panels (not 36). Or, seventy two 3X3 panels.

I dunno, I obviously need advice. Perhaps a single blanket and roller system would be easier, but getting that big of blanket to go on the roller somewhat straight sounds problematic.

I'd have to take out the diving board to make room for roller. No big loss I guess, we don't really use it.

They have low profile solar reels that should fit under your diving board if you go that route. We don't have a diving board but just got a reel. It is much easier to roll and keep straight than I thought.

They also make the panels in a similar size as your project you can throw on the pool. Price for those panels was close to what our reel was. If we hadn't already had the solar cover I probably would have gone that route.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

We don't have a diving board but just got a reel. It is much easier to roll and keep straight than I thought.

Thanks for this feedback.

They also make the panels in a similar size as your project you can throw on the pool. Price for those panels was close to what our reel was.

Yes, that's where I got the idea. I guess I should see whether I can make panels for less than I can buy them. Thanks for aiming me in that direction.

The single blanket and roller system is sounding more appealing. Thanks for helping me think this through. If anyone would care to suggest vendors for single blanket and roller system, happy to hear your thoughts.

Oh geez, I'm over thinking this, aren't I?

I don't need PVC or a roller reel thing, do I?

I just need the solar blanket material, right?

If I cut the blanket in to nine pieces of 6 X 12 (and get rid of our diving board) I should be able to easily stack the blankets at the far end of pool.

I searched Amazon and found this:

-----------
12 mil - 18x36 - $104

Amazon.com : 12 Mil Pool Solar Cover 18 x 36 ft. Rectangle : Swimming Pool Solar Blankets : Patio, Lawn Garden
-----------

OR:

-----------
16 mil - 18x36 - $150

Amazon.com : 18 Garden
-----------

Am I on the right track now?

Any opinions on 12 mil vs. 16 mil?

Thanks again, appreciate any advice.

I would go with the pieces as large as you think you can reasonably handle. The more of them there are the more hassle to remove and put back and the less likely you are to use them. I think you will find the blankets is not as heavy as one might imagine. The in pool roller I made off of mas985's design can be removed by my wife by her self. If you want even smaller pieces I would say start with 3 or 4 and see how you like it. You can always cut it up more but you can't put it back together. As for thickness the general consensus seems to be you only get a couple of years out of them no matter the thickness, so go thinner cost less and is lighter. Most believe the clear ones might provide a very slight heating improvement over the blue tinted ones probably not even 1 degree but take what you can get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would go with the pieces as large as you think you can reasonably handle.
Yes, you're right. My original idea for this was so very wrong. For some reason I got this stupid PVC idea in my head, and that's what I've been imagining moving. Duh... I'm thinking two pieces now, one for each side of the pool. That way if only one person wants to swim, only one side need be moved.
As for thickness the general consensus seems to be you only get a couple of years out of them no matter the thickness, so go thinner cost less and is lighter.
Thanks for this, probably just saved me $50. What happens to the blankets? Aren't they made of plastic, and isn't plastic eternal? Anyway, if it's $100 every two or three years, that's doable. Thanks again guys. All I need to decide now is whether I want a roller, and if yes, buy or build.

They get brittle and start to deteriorate. When the cover is out of the pool try to keep it out of the sun, if it is in direct sunlight it will get hot and deteriorate faster than it otherwise would. If you are taking it out for a long period of time you may even want to cover it with a tarp.

They get brittle and start to deteriorate. When the cover is out of the pool try to keep it out of the sun, if it is in direct sunlight it will get hot and deteriorate faster than it otherwise would. If you are taking it out for a long period of time you may even want to cover it with a tarp.

Ah, I see, thanks. Ok, I'll get a cheap tarp at Walmart to protect the cover while it's not in pool.

This is the one we have. I am pleased with its ease of use and durability. It is low profile so might work under your diving board also.

Ha, ha, my former diving board. I took a closer look at it today, and the bolts that held the board up were completely rotted out. The next time someone jumped on the board they would have wound up in the pool faster than expected, with diving board close behind. I've dumped the diving board of course, and now have to hacksaw out the metal frame that was holding it up. Once that's done I have a space at far end of pool 8 foot by 20 foot to store our cover.

I'm about to buy what seems to be a good cover...

Amazon.com : 18 Garden

Which seems to be the same product as this?

Crystal Clear Solar Cover 18' x 36' Rectangular 16 Mil - Free Shipping - SolarCovers.com

Unless I come to a better idea, my current plan is to cut the cover in half, and build a roller for each side of the pool.

Check out the only comment on the Amazon page. Buyer claims they got 12 degree boost in two days. I'd be delighted with half that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.