Balancing with SWG

May 27, 2008
Cary, NC
hi everyone,
i tried to find the answer to my question on the stickies first, but i wasn't quite sure if i found the answer, so i figured i'd go to the source.

i opened my pool last weekend but the pump was shot, so i had to order a new one. long story short, algae started to develop in my stagnant pool. once the pump came, i followed the advice on the board here and hit it hard before it ever got going. i am now algae free and my FC is holding overnight. here are my test results (done twice to ensure accuracy)

FC 4.5
CC ~ 0.5
TC 5.0
TA 90
CYA n/a there was no CYA when i opened, i added some after i got the algae under control. too early to test
CH 140
PH 7.2

my 2 questions are: 1)i know calcium hardness is not that big of a deal with a vinyl liner, but i just wanted to make sure that # is ok... and 2)i know the ph is a bit on the low end, but with a swg will that drift up on its own? or should i raise it myself?

thank you to everyone on this board for all your help!

Your numbers are fine, no worries on the CH and the PH is okay, it may rise on it's own.

Keep your FC up with liquid chlorine and when your CYA is in range you can use the SWG. However, you don't give a salt reading?

Looks like you have a handle on things. :goodjob:

thanks waterbear! i'm pretty sure i added enough to get the CYA up to 80, but i will test soon. how long does it usually take for the powder to dissolve?

also, have you heard of a ph reducing product designed specifically for swg? i'll have to see what the exact ingredients are, but i wanted to ask the board before buying it. i've read on here that muriatic acid can be a little risky for swgs?

goodnterribles said:
thanks waterbear! i'm pretty sure i added enough to get the CYA up to 80, but i will test soon. how long does it usually take for the powder to dissolve?
usually about a week

also, have you heard of a ph reducing product designed specifically for swg? i'll have to see what the exact ingredients are, but i wanted to ask the board before buying it. i've read on here that muriatic acid can be a little risky for swgs?
Nope, muriatic acid is the best thing to use for SWGs. it's dry acid and sulfuric acid that can sometimes be a problem. Muriatic acid is also what EVERY SWG manufacturer that I have ever seen or sold recommends for cleaning the cell!

The 'pH reducing product designed specifically for swg' is really designed to play to a customer's ignorance and lighten their wallet! Give me a brand and a name and I will check into it but I bet it's just dry acid if it's a granular product and muriatic if it's liquid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.