Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing with SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing with SWG

hi everyone,
    i tried to find the answer to my question on the stickies first, but i wasn't quite sure if i found the answer, so i figured i'd go to the source.

i opened my pool last weekend but the pump was shot, so i had to order a new one. long story short, algae started to develop in my stagnant pool. once the pump came, i followed the advice on the board here and hit it hard before it ever got going. i am now algae free and my FC is holding overnight. here are my test results (done twice to ensure accuracy)

FC 4.5
    CC ~ 0.5
    TC 5.0
    TA 90
    CYA n/a there was no CYA when i opened, i added some after i got the algae under control. too early to test
    CH 140
    PH 7.2

my 2 questions are: 1)i know calcium hardness is not that big of a deal with a vinyl liner, but i just wanted to make sure that # is ok... and 2)i know the ph is a bit on the low end, but with a swg will that drift up on its own? or should i raise it myself?

thank you to everyone on this board for all your help!
    25K gallon IG vinyl liner, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing with SWG

Your numbers are fine, no worries on the CH and the PH is okay, it may rise on it's own.

Keep your FC up with liquid chlorine and when your CYA is in range you can use the SWG. However, you don't give a salt reading?

Looks like you have a handle on things.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

i actually just started up the swg now that i have my FC stable and holding. my salt reading was 3400 ppm but i am ordering some new salt strips since the ones i have are old and right at the exp date.

thanks for your help!

4. Back To Top    #4

You may have some problems if your CYA isn't at the right level. Hopefully it will be alright. What was your target?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

right around there. the range is something like 3200-3600. last summer i kept it right around 3400 with no problems.

i will check the FC tonight and if it's on the low side, i'll turn off the SWG until i can get my CYA level up. thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Get your CYA up to 80 ppm. If you find that you have to add acid frequently to keep the pH down then drop your TA to about 70 and consider adding borates.
    water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html
    so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks waterbear! i'm pretty sure i added enough to get the CYA up to 80, but i will test soon. how long does it usually take for the powder to dissolve?

also, have you heard of a ph reducing product designed specifically for swg? i'll have to see what the exact ingredients are, but i wanted to ask the board before buying it. i've read on here that muriatic acid can be a little risky for swgs?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by goodnterribles
    thanks waterbear! i'm pretty sure i added enough to get the CYA up to 80, but i will test soon. how long does it usually take for the powder to dissolve?
    usually about a week

also, have you heard of a ph reducing product designed specifically for swg? i'll have to see what the exact ingredients are, but i wanted to ask the board before buying it. i've read on here that muriatic acid can be a little risky for swgs?
    Nope, muriatic acid is the best thing to use for SWGs. it's dry acid and sulfuric acid that can sometimes be a problem. Muriatic acid is also what EVERY SWG manufacturer that I have ever seen or sold recommends for cleaning the cell!

The 'pH reducing product designed specifically for swg' is really designed to play to a customer's ignorance and lighten their wallet! Give me a brand and a name and I will check into it but I bet it's just dry acid if it's a granular product and muriatic if it's liquid.

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks waterbear! i obviously was confused. the next time i'm at the store i will look to see what it is.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by goodnterribles
    thanks waterbear! i obviously was confused. the next time i'm at the store i will look to see what it is.
    Muratic is inexpensive too. It's 2 gal for $10 at Home Depot!
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!