asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Home Depot just started selling 10% sodium chloride chlorine for $6.86 for 2 gallons; brand is "HDX." It was a much better deal than the price I was paying for the HASA brand I was buying at a local mom and pop store. What I've noticed is that it may not be of equal quality. It seems to burn off relatively quickly. I double checked the julian number and here is what it shows: 16 10506:27 C. Is this a good number? I purchase 8 boxes 2 weeks ago.

Also, it is almost odorless. Is this normal?

Hey there, that chlorine was made on Apr 15 this year, I have not used that type..

have you checked walmart? They have had 10% for 2.50 a gallon in the pool isle... :)

You might also wish to check chlorine at A&M Corson's on NE corner of McQueen and Warner (also Alma School and Elliot). 12.5% for $3.75/gallon when you get 4 gallons in refillable jugs - $14.99 for 4 gallons.

Also, in reference to your pH issue in your other thread.... 4 gallons of 31.45% for $18.99.

In both cases, they charge a $6.00 refundable deposit for the 4 jugs and carry case. The chlorine has always been fresh.

Of course, the 10% for $2.50/gallon at Walmart is a little better value per effective ounce of chlorine.

Date code decode for Walmart "Chlorinating Liquid".... 16120 = 120th day of 2016 (around end of April 2016). Make sure it starts with a 16 - someone yesterday mentioned they saw one somewhere that started with 15. You want the freshest possible as it degrades over time.

There is no 'easy' way to test the chlorine for strength, "in bottle" I've read that it should be yellowish, should smell pretty strongly, and might have a certain feel on your finger. I would NOT recommend the finger test. If you have some way to accurately measure liquids, you could try to dilute it down to something that can be measured with the FAS/DPD kit.

Usually, I would say, just add what pool math says you need and if it doesn't raise FC like it should, it's probably not full strength anymore. That is assuming that your pool is otherwise in good shape, and that you aren't fighting an algae battle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.