Pool Opened Today. No Test Kit aside from a 2 year old OTO drop test...

Frayed

Aug 2, 2013
Eastern WA
Hello everyone, and happy start (in my region) of the 2016 pool season!

I'm a lazy fellow, and as such I have the local pool company open and close my pool for me. No chems or anything, just the physical aspect of the winterization of the return lines, pump, filter etc. Unfortunately this year I screwed up and don't have a TF-100 here ready to go. All I have available is an OTO drop kit that I think is 2 years old. Naturally the water is pretty cloudy at this point so I need to start a SLAM process. My question is how reliable is a 2 year old OTO kit drop kit? Will the reagents still be any good?

In all past years I've used the TF-100 kit, but this year since I was asleep at the wheel and didn't have a kit here ready to go for the season I ordered the Taylor K-2006 instead since it's available from Amazon with prime, so I'll have it in 2 days. I'm hoping I can start my SLAM process using the OTO test and just keeping chlorine levels high until I can run an actual FC test with the K-2006, but that obviously requires the OTO test to be somewhat reliable despite its age.

Jason is right. We all have no idea where your starting point is. Its like pinning a tail on a donkey in a room full of pigs.

Well, I know for a fact that at the end of last season (Late September) my CYA was around 47. With the slight drain & refill for winterization I guess I assumed my CYA would probably be somewhere around 35-40ish at this point. Again, just looking to get the process at least started while waiting on my proper test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.