Pump humming

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
Went to turn on the filter and the pump is just humming. It will hum for 30 seconds or so and then I have to reset the breakers (although they aren't thrown) to get it to hum again. Read on here that it is probably a bad capacitor. With power off, Took the filter basket out and couldn't reach the impeller. Took the back off and the shaft turns easily, but there is no slot for a flat head screw driver to turn it. I turned it by hand a few times and tried turning on the power but it still just hums. Took the capacitor out and will try to find a replacement tomorrow. I read somewhere that some motors have a run and a start capacitor. There only seems to be one cover on my motor and I only see this one capacitor in the end. It is 25MFD, 370 volts. Is that the start capacitor?

Some motors have 2 capacitors, some have 1, and I think some have 0.

If you only have 1 in the back of the motor (no big hump on the side of the motor), then that would be the start capacitor.

Not all capacitors are start capacitors, some are there to improve efficiency while running. Other motors have no capacitors at all. The hum and then no hum is likely caused by the thermal overload protection circuit in the motor. It will automatically reset by itself. It is there to protect the motor from catching on fire. Either way since the motor shaft spins free try replacing the capacitor that you see and it will probably solve what ales you.

Not all capacitors are start capacitors, some are there to improve efficiency while running. Other motors have no capacitors at all. The hum and then no hum is likely caused by the thermal overload protection circuit in the motor. It will automatically reset by itself. It is there to protect the motor from catching on fire. Either way since the motor shaft spins free try replacing the capacitor that you see and it will probably solve what ales you.

I'm hoping so, thank you. I did notice that the shaft was quite hot after it humming for only a bit. I'd really like to get it going at least until I find a capacitor. If I turn it with pliers while someone else turns on the switch, it should start going? I read that it turns counter-clockwise on the pump end, so I'll need to turn it clockwise on the motor/capacitor end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.