Choosing a new pool filter.

I currently have a Pentair CC200 filter and thinking of upgrading to the 420. What should I look for a higher filtration rate or GPM. My max pool volume is 24K, plaster pool. I'm slamming the pool to get it clean and not sure that CC200 is turning water. The pressure ranges around 20PSI.. I've cleaned the filter every averaging 4 times a day for the last 2 weeks. I've soaked it twice in TSP as well as placed in acid wash. When I turn on pump the PSI will start between 8-10 and within 5 mins jump to 20. THe max it has gotten to is 25 PSI.... Help, is there something I am doing wrong or should I look at a different pump. My chemicals are okay and maintaining FC levels.

CC200 Filtration Rate 200, GPM 200
420 Filtration rate 420, GPM 150

Filtration rate and GPM of a filter do not mater, those are upper limits and generally you want to run much much lower than that anyway.

For a 21k gallon pool, my little calculator suggests a 300 sqft cartridge filter or bigger. Although with a short season (are you in MI??? update profile) you could go smaller, too.

If the water is green, clearing it up with a cartridge filter is annoying as it clogs up so quickly. What don't you post up some test results and lets see what the chemistry tells us ... that is likely more your problem than the filter.

Thanks for the reply. I'm outside of Dallas Tx and used test strips for the chemical results... The FC dropped since this morning from 3 to 1.

FC 1
ALK 120
PH 7.8
CYA40

Also, the cartridge that I used was a Unicel 9419.. I say used because when I got home tonight my PSI dropped to blow 10. I had a smile on my face until i stopped the pump to clean the filter. When opening the filter I could see that the pressure (I think) was so much that it cracked the center core in multiple places and a portion of the cartridge filter was pushed back into the center core and ripped in a couple of areas. When I pulled the cartridge filter out the bottom section of the center core crumbled into 3 pieces and the top portion into 2 pieces.

I ordered the Taylor K-2006 from Amazon and it came yesterday. I'm looking at Youtube videos on how to use. Right now I have the pump running without a cartridge so that the water will turn vs. sitting. Is that okay or will it cause other issues? I ordered a new center core and replacement cartridge (Pleatco PAP 200 M-4) this evening but they will not arrive until Friday. I'll start the slam process again on Saturday.....

Re: Year 3 opening to Green Swamp

Look at you go! Please stick around and learn everything you can this summer about your pool and what you need to know to close it. There is no reason why you should ever open to emerald green water. Keep SLAMMING!
Starting the slam process but need to replace a cracked center core for a cartridge filter. Do you know how to remove the center core base?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Robert 1906

Bummer! It is really hard to tell in the documents but it looks like you need to remove the lower bulkhead fitting from the filter housing. Which is the outlet.

4ec3a0a44124620ae40af9bc39b50fbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Can you take a picture of the top and bottom of the NEW piece and post those here? That may help to determine how to remove the old piece.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.