Alex's Pool Renovation.NEW PICS ARE NOW IN

Hello fellow peeps, this is the first time I have had a chance to upload a couple pics. I will put up a couple more pics in the next couple days. We bought this house last year and the pool was a slough of disgust. It hadn't been used in almost 20 years (along with knowone living in the house either, it was kept as a write off ) we were unsure what we were going to find when we emptied it but luckily it wasn't cracked or anything. The paint was chipping off in some spots and the tile needed grout, along with that we installed a new pump, sand filter, and the best part a wood burning heater. I spent about a week in a rain suit pressure washing every sqaure inch and then painted it with 3 coats of Benjamin Mohr pool paint. Anyways heres the pics I got right now and I promise I will put up a couple more in the next few days. The black pump you see in some of the pics was the old one and now we have a Pentair Whisper Flow. Enjoy.

This is after we decided that the kreepy crawler wasn't going to cut it and started draining it. We found rocks and bricks in it along with about 3 inches of sludge.

ec88fa0a.jpg

ec88ef66.jpg

Here was this spring, I never tarped it over the winter which I learned was a bad idea. The leaves in it stuck so I threw 4 gallons of bleach in it.
e8f0299e.jpg

Here is when I started pressure washing the old paint off. I use a 2200PSI washer and it did a pretty good job.
e8f02582.jpg

The tile before.
e8f023d8.jpg

After
e8f022aa.jpg

The pool heater installed. Old pump though
e8f020fe.jpg

New Pump
e8f01eaf.jpg

Back of heater
e8f01e0b.jpg

The pool with fresh paint and water. This is the only pic I have right now cause my camera died. Looks really nice when its sunny.

e8f01d8c.jpg

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. I'll wait until you get your final pics up and then add one to the slideshow if that is OK with you.

BTW, do you have a picture of the pool emptied with the fresh coat of paint? I'll bet that was a pretty good before and after moment.

I think I only have a camera phone pic of the pool empty with the new paint but I will try uploading it for you. It was an amazing difference and it sure is nice having a pretty much brand new pool. You can use my pics anytime you like. And thanks for starting this forum, its nice now that there is a pool forum I can actually join! :-D

Alex

Alex,

That is one nice remodel job, my friend. I hope you get a great deal of satifaction from the very nice look you have given that old pool. Lotta' folks may have thrown in the towel and covered it up. Very nice work.

I have a wood-fired heater as well and I'm gonna' give you a heads up on my experience. I have a large pool but I also have a VERY large (whole house) heater as well. It heats my entire house, my soon-to-be workshop and my domestic hot water.........it is not adequate to effectively heat my pool :cry: :cry:

There is a tremendous difference in the btu's required to heat water as opposed to heating air. I didn't do the math when I installed my heater and the results have been disappointing. Additionally, while I can heat the pool over a protracted period of time, it takes so doggone much wood that I'm pretty sure I will give up that idea and go to solar.

I really hope your results are better than mine and I look forward to you posting up something this fall.

Meanwhile, happy swimming and congratulations on a really nice job.

duraleigh said:
Alex,

That is one nice remodel job, my friend. I hope you get a great deal of satifaction from the very nice look you have given that old pool. Lotta' folks may have thrown in the towel and covered it up. Very nice work.

I have a wood-fired heater as well and I'm gonna' give you a heads up on my experience. I have a large pool but I also have a VERY large (whole house) heater as well. It heats my entire house, my soon-to-be workshop and my domestic hot water.........it is not adequate to effectively heat my pool :cry: :cry:

There is a tremendous difference in the btu's required to heat water as opposed to heating air. I didn't do the math when I installed my heater and the results have been disappointing. Additionally, while I can heat the pool over a protracted period of time, it takes so doggone much wood that I'm pretty sure I will give up that idea and go to solar.

I really hope your results are better than mine and I look forward to you posting up something this fall.

Meanwhile, happy swimming and congratulations on a really nice job.

Thanks, I am a huge DIY'er. When we bought this house last year I gutted the entire top floor and redid everything myself. I love looking at my backyard now, just amazing difference.

I take it that you got the wood heat from extend a swim? I have seen huge gains with my heater but I haven't burnt very good wood yet. I was just burning cedar planks and it didn't burn very long but I am getting some birch and spruce this week so that should help out. I would like to hear more on your experience with the wood heater. Thanks .

Alex

What do you think of that Benjamin Moore Pool Paint? Did it do a good job, did you look at any other products? How long do you think it will last? Last, is all you did for prep work is presure wash it? Thanks, I have been needing to coat mine, and looked at Ultraguard, but it was going to be close to $2000. Everyone acted like other coatings sucked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
largen101 said:
What do you think of that Benjamin Moore Pool Paint? Did it do a good job, did you look at any other products? How long do you think it will last? Last, is all you did for prep work is presure wash it? Thanks, I have been needing to coat mine, and looked at Ultraguard, but it was going to be close to $2000. Everyone acted like other coatings sucked.

All I did was pressure wash all the old paint and let it dry for about A week. Then I put on three coats of Benjamin Mohr pool paint. It cost about $50/Gal CDN and was easy to apply. I let the paint dry for about another week then filled it up. The first week you could faintly smell the paint in the water but after a week it was gone. I haven't had any issues of bubbling or peeling of any sort so hopefully it will last at least five years. Hope all this helps. It made a huge difference, the color I used was mediterranian blue.

Alex

ALBERTA_LEXUS said:
largen101 said:

All I did was pressure wash all the old paint and let it dry for about A week. Then I put on three coats of Benjamin Mohr pool paint. It cost about $50/Gal CDN and was easy to apply. I let the paint dry for about another week then filled it up. The first week you could faintly smell the paint in the water but after a week it was gone. I haven't had any issues of bubbling or peeling of any sort so hopefully it will last at least five years. Hope all this helps. It made a huge difference, the color I used was mediterranian blue.

Alex

How many square feet does a gallon coat? Did you get more coverage on the extra coats. How well do you think one coat would hold up? Thanks for the info

I wouldn't recommend only one coat because the first couple coats filled in all the little pockets and made everything smoother as I went. If your surface was perfectly smooth you might get away with one coat. It took me three gallons per coat, my pool is around 1200sq/ft I think. The total cost for paint was around $500CDN. The paint is lots thicker than normal paint so the coverage is less than you would expect from normal paint.

Alex

PS Are you a shift worker too or just up late! I am on shift :lol:

ALBERTA_LEXUS said:
I wouldn't recommend only one coat because the first couple coats filled in all the little pockets and made everything smoother as I went. If your surface was perfectly smooth you might get away with one coat. It took me three gallons per coat, my pool is around 1200sq/ft I think. The total cost for paint was around $500CDN. The paint is lots thicker than normal paint so the coverage is less than you would expect from normal paint.

Alex

I do work 12 hour shifts but I am off right now, last night was on Thursday and then I stay in the cycle and can't get to sleep early. Then tonight I won't be able to get to sleep very early, but I have to get up at 4:00a.m. for day shift so after that I don't have a problem getting to sleep early!!

Anyways I have always been looking at www.poolrestoration.com and their Ultraguard product. They claim it is the best. There are actually two products a thin sealer and then the top color coat. The stuff sits up like glass and then in the future all you have to do is add another coat, it should never peel off. My pool is also around 1200 sq ft. The thinest Ultraguard product will cost me around $1400 for everything. That is amazing you get 1200sq ft out of 3 gallons! I think my pool is pretty smooth as well. I am just worried about the horror stories they put on that site about peeling in less then a year. I don't want to spend a bunch cause I am fixing this house up to sell and cost is my biggest issue with everything. It appears though I would be able to do 3 coats of this for around $400-450?

Did you do anything to your cement deck? Mine was previously coated and is all flaking off and looks horrible. I was looking at Olympic's Patio Tones product to do it, but it cost about $45 a gallon and says it only coats 100sq ft. a gallon and needs two coats. I have about 700-800 sq ft of deck currently coated and peeling. My concrete is really smooth so I think I could get better coverage. Ever hear of a better deck product? I appreciate your time on all this!!

largen101 said:
ALBERTA_LEXUS said:

Alex

I do work 12 hour shifts but I am off right now, last night was on Thursday and then I stay in the cycle and can't get to sleep early. Then tonight I won't be able to get to sleep very early, but I have to get up at 4:00a.m. for day shift so after that I don't have a problem getting to sleep early!!

Anyways I have always been looking at www.poolrestoration.com and their Ultraguard product. They claim it is the best. There are actually two products a thin sealer and then the top color coat. The stuff sits up like glass and then in the future all you have to do is add another coat, it should never peel off. My pool is also around 1200 sq ft. The thinest Ultraguard product will cost me around $1400 for everything. That is amazing you get 1200sq ft out of 3 gallons! I think my pool is pretty smooth as well. I am just worried about the horror stories they put on that site about peeling in less then a year. I don't want to spend a bunch cause I am fixing this house up to sell and cost is my biggest issue with everything. It appears though I would be able to do 3 coats of this for around $400-450?

Did you do anything to your cement deck? Mine was previously coated and is all flaking off and looks horrible. I was looking at Olympic's Patio Tones product to do it, but it cost about $45 a gallon and says it only coats 100sq ft. a gallon and needs two coats. I have about 700-800 sq ft of deck currently coated and peeling. My concrete is really smooth so I think I could get better coverage. Ever hear of a better deck product? I appreciate your time on all this!!

I highly recommend the Benjamin Mohr paint, its only been a few months but it seems to be on there like glue. Some people may only let the concrete dry out for a couple days before applying the paint but I wanted to wait a week because concrete is so porous it takes a long time to truely dry out. As for my deck its just concrete right now but next year I will put some type of coating on it. I am sure you guys have it in the US, its made by rustoleum and I think its called deck effects or something along those line. I haven't really looked into the cost and coverage of it. Home Depot also has a type of deck coating that looks like stone but I think I estimated that it would cost me around $1200 to do my whole pad ( 1000sq/ft). If you do decide to use the Benjamin Mohr I would get 1-2 gallons extra so you don't run out. Also I waited a full day in between coats. Is your pool a 16 X 32? Thats what mine is and approximately 10ft deep in the deep end. Hope all this helps :-D

Alex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.