heater plumbing question

Apr 4, 2009
Central Jersey
OK, new pool owner here with tons of questions. But for now just one. I purchased 2 solar heaters for AG 18x33 oval pool. My current set up is this: skimmer-pump-filter-chlorinator-pool return. What I want to do is connect the heaters to the filter and then return to the chlorinator. HOWEVER, I want to have shut off valves so I can bypass the heaters if it is a cloudy day or the water is too warm (not likely). I thought I was just going to get a 3 way valve from the pool store, BUT, my equipment is Proline and have threaded connections and they don't sell 3 way valves with threaded connections. Is there something I can get from Home Depot plumbing department that will work. I think I need to use a T Piece or Y connector at the chlorinator and at the filter as well as shut offs. I have a feeling the pool store charges $$$$ for something that I could piece together for a lot less.

Please respond in plain language. I KNOW NOTHING!!

The 3-way valves won't come threaded but you get bushings that either fit inside the valve or via a coupler, outside the valve that does have threads. The fittings will need to be glued with PVC glue but then you should be able to attach the hoses as necessary. In addtion, it might be a good idea to plumb the panels supply and return pipe all in ridged PVC and then connect to the rest of the equipment using the threaded bushings. However, that does not need to be done at the PVC valve but it depends on how you plan to layout all the plumbing. A few pictures might help solicit some suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.