TFP is a breath of fresh... air (err water)

May 17, 2016
Rochester, NY
Hi! :handwave: My name is Kevin and I live in Rochester NY.

Had not envisioned myself owning a pool, until I was surrounded by neighbors that have them. My disdain started when I worked for a pool store in the early 1990's.

I can remember testing people's water, the computer spitting out a list of chemicals and the people buying whatever we told them to. Not understanding why, or what the chemicals did. There was even the hard sell to sell copper (cannot remember if it was a additive or remover). One customer I felt sorry for, but couldn't say anything. He spent $100 a week for three weeks and his green monster had turned black. Nothing the computer recommended worked, and we couldn't get the owners to help him unless he signed a contract for them to service the pool. After I left that store I swore I would never own a pool...

For eighteen years I was OK with not having a pool, or the expense. Then we moved to our current neighborhood, where I can see 6 pools from my backyard. Seeing your neighbors lounging by the pool on a hot summer day makes you rethink your priorities. :)

After doing some research and realizing that I could afford a safety cover and a VS pump I had changed my mind. Was still concerned with the cost of chemicals. :(
All of the PB's in the area were offering a safety cover (or could exchange for one). But none were offering VS pumps. I was the only educated customer to ask for a different pump. They all would have to custom order a VS, and I could choose what I wanted. Since I repaired Hayward pumps at the pool store, and knew the brand, that is what I went with. The pool was built late Sept and closed right when it was finished in Oct.

While doing my research for pumps I came across TFP. I have been lurking since September, and learning. The concepts here are straight forward, and seem easy to follow. Not to mention better on the wallet and environment. :cool:

I can figure things out, but it is always good to have others guide you to speed up the learning process. Looking forward to a long stay with TFP!

Kevin aka -MacGyver-

Glad to have you, Kevin. :wave:

Good to have more folks around with some industry experience and especially some handle on pool equipment. Nice to see the pool store experience didn't jade you too badly. Thankfully, with TFP methods, you won't have to step foot in one if it happens to trigger flashbacks!