Cantilever pool step and coping.

damb

Jun 10, 2014
toronto,on
Hi I about to install my fiberglass step for my steel/vinyl pool. My wall are in and I need some help.

I need to know if the top of the steps should be flush with the top of the panel or should it be flush with the finished wall (wall + coping).

are the steps what they call cantilevered coping steps or bullnose coping steps? With cantilevered steps, the coping your using on your pool, weather it be aluminum , pavers or concrete , etc would follow throughout whole pool on top of steps. Those steps are flush with top of wall. Bullnose steps are held high enough where whatever coping your using butts into them. When looking at steps , if the liner gasket flange goes all the way to the top of steps there cantilevered. If it stops around 2-1/2" down , there bullnose.
Kris

Sorry I guess I didn't explain it properly. I my step is cantilevered and I plan on putting a stone coping. My question is I have a double track coping that is 3/4" high, should my stair be flush with the top of the track or flush with the wall?

coping.png

If stone coping is on top of steps and wall and that drawing accurately depicts the track then you would want steps flush with top of track, maybe a touch lower too allow for whatever thickness boding agent your using to set stone. Does that make sense?
Kris

That's what I was thinking but just want to make sure.

Is there always a little gap between the liner track(coping) step gasket? It seams not matter what way I were to do it there would be a small area where the liner is not the track or gasket, maybe 1/2" or so.

I know exactly what your talking about .... You could get slightly longer side pieces. Basically just the flange covers and track, not the gasket Do you have little caps on the very top of the flanges? You can float those up a touch as well.

The stone coping as opposed to aluminum or concrete is a relative unknown to me so if you are using a stone contractor you should maybe run this by him as far as install methods as he's the one who will be dealing with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.