Commitment Issues... :)

K8Luvs2Run

Gold Supporter
May 13, 2016
McKinney, TX
Hi Folks,
I have been building a pool...in my head...since July 2016. I have met with several PBs and requested proposals from two. This pool "thing" is incredibly expensive and I feel PBs can often treat a buyer as if they should not look under the hood, "buy the car, trust me, it will be great!". I signed a contract with a PB in March, but two days before the dig, I cancelled. So many concerns about the gas line, piers or no piers, skills needed to properly drain water around my pool instead of into it... I have a challenging yard and it is going to take someone very conscientious to do this right so that I will truly enjoy it for the next 20 years that I live here. That said, I am on track with a PB I have been working with since the beginning...not a salesperson for a pool builder, but the actual PB. Hoping we are in contact this weekend!

- I live in McKinney, TX, Piers or no piers...thoughts?
- The cost for Wet Edge Primera Stone is 2X that of Luna Quartz - why is it worth the price or not, gotta get the Hubs on board?
- Would love to hear some lessons learned - what would you do different, where would you lean into doing it better, versus saving money?
- My intuition is telling me to go Chlorine versus SWG, but I am thinking I go SWG and switch to chlorine if / when I need to. (yes, I know SWG generates chlorine :)
- Planning on a Pentair system, thoughts on the Screenlogic that enables iPhone control?

Thank you in advance for serving as my therapy group as I walk this road. I am excited and ready to be broke.

Cheers!
K8Luvs2Run

I assume you know to use ScreenLogic you will need a Pentair Automation System (EasyTouch or IntelliTouch). ScreenLogic makes the use of Pentair automation 10 times easier than without it. I vote for going with the SWG first, because if you do, you will never take it out. I also vote for the Intelliflow VS pump. The combination of the VS pump, EasyTouch, and SWG make my pools "almost" maintenance free. Kind of like kids.. Chlorine pools are like infants, where you have to change their diapers all the time and SWG pools are like kids after they are potty trained.. One is a lot more work than the other :D

Jim R.

Reactions: RV-Nomad
Haha, love your thread title! Welcome to TFP :) Taking your time is a really good idea, so this is a great time to start for a target of next summer.

I found this thread interesting: What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

My two cents is to focus on landscape design first, including consideration of your preferred safety barrier because of its impact on looks and function.

Have fun with it all!!