Changing from Chlorine to Salt

May 11, 2016
MD
Any downsides?

I get most the basic stuff about it.

The machine is about 1000 bucks unless someone knows a better place to get one...

My CYA is high I think. around 80 according to the pool place. Just got my test kit today... so will know more tomorrow.

So it is just right for salt... and my wife wants it...

so since I am on a well. it may save draining it in the future.

I think you already answered your own question ..... "and my wife wants it". I think you're getting an SWG. :)

Most people who invest in one are pretty happy with them. You still have to watch your FC level each day, but a little less maintenance.

After all the research i did, even if it doesn't save money like some say, i decided to go this route. It may require occasional cleaning and the unit doesn't last forever. I have read personal accounts of 3 to 7 years. Probably many factors in the difference.

Ok, found the SWG one. But i didn't know that was for SWG particularly.

Need to talk to the wife... but seems like a decent option. as that machine cost as much as a few years of bleach the price isn't much different.

Just to be clear, you will STILL have a chlorine pool when you get a SWG. Some folks don't realize that.

Make sure you get one 2-3x the size of your pool so that you can run it less, have plenty of chlorine production and it should last longer.

Just to be clear, you will STILL have a chlorine pool when you get a SWG. Some folks don't realize that.

Make sure you get one 2-3x the size of your pool so that you can run it less, have plenty of chlorine production and it should last longer.

good tip, thanks

And yes, I know, it uses salt to make the chlorine. :)

Is it just a different type? why is it less abrasive?

Same type of chlorine. It could feel less abrasive due to the salt in the water or that in general the FC/CYA ratio is held a little tighter due to more constant addition of chlorine. CYA (stabilizer) has a buffering effect on chlorine which may lead it to feeling less abrasive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Puppies, I just switched to a Hayward Aquarite and T-15 cell.
My pool is 23k gallons, similar to yours.
I love it.

So far, I've needed a slight, eg. .2 adjustment to ph about every week-10 days. Not bad.

I am also on well with sequestered water for iron content. So far no problems. In researching the switch, I did discover that in terms of metal sequestrants/stain & scale control products, -- if you use them -- Jacks Magic Purple is formulated to work with swg, just so you know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.