SWG advice for large pool

wmmallette

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2016
New Albany, Mississippi
I am building a pool that will be about 36,000 gallons. I will probably have a Pentair variable speed pump and a sand filter. Based on the size of my pool does anyone have recommendations for a pool this size or larger that you use a SWG for.

Not tied to any brand personally.

-Mickey

If you're already getting Pentair equipment then you might as well get an IC60 and pair it with an EasyTouch 8 automation panel. The IC60 puts out about 2lbs of chlorine per 24 hour period which equates to 6.7ppm FC per day. You'll have to use bleach to get your pool dosed up to the proper target level but the IC60 should be able to supply the 2-4ppm per day needed to account for FC loss. The down side is you'll be ruining your pump close to 24/7 so you'll want a variable speed pump for maximum electrical efficiency.

You might want to consider a bleach dosing pump (Stenner pump) instead to save on pump run time.

I am in the same boat Mickey and I was going to go with an IC60 as well.

I'm now concerned about the pump. I'm not sure mine is variable speed and I am wondering about my electric bill again! Sigh!

EDIT: I get full sun and usually about 1-2 points of loss per day.

If you're already getting Pentair equipment then you might as well get an IC60 and pair it with an EasyTouch 8 automation panel. The IC60 puts out about 2lbs of chlorine per 24 hour period which equates to 6.7ppm FC per day. You'll have to use bleach to get your pool dosed up to the proper target level but the IC60 should be able to supply the 2-4ppm per day needed to account for FC loss. The down side is you'll be ruining your pump close to 24/7 so you'll want a variable speed pump for maximum electrical efficiency.

You might want to consider a bleach dosing pump (Stenner pump) instead to save on pump run time.

Matt, you kind of contradict yourself here ... If the SWG can add 6.7ppm and the pool need 2-4ppm ... then they would only have to run the pump 8-14 hours, which is still a lot but, certainly better than 24/7 ;)

Matt, you kind of contradict yourself here ... If the SWG can add 6.7ppm and the pool need 2-4ppm ... then they would only have to run the pump 8-14 hours, which is still a lot but, certainly better than 24/7 ;)

That was my point, however inarticulately made. The pool volume is on the high end, so the OP needs to run the pump for a better part of the day to keep chlorine levels up. Just trying to raise awareness that if your pool volume is high, then getting an energy efficient pump, like a variable-speed pump, is something to consider.

Next time I'll put down the hamburger before responding or wait until after lunch ;)

Yeah, it sounds like JoyfulNoise that I am in the same boat and could also use an Intelliflo as well. I might want to spec this in to save costs.

You can also look at 2-speed pumps which are much cheaper. As long as the 2-speed pump has enough HP to produce the minimum flow rate needed for the SWG at low speed, then it's a cheaper option than the more expensive VSPs. VSPs don't typically pay for themselves in the long run unless you live in a place where the utility rates are very high.

Disregard. I called to get our rates and they are low (about 0.09¢ per kWh). That's good!

In that case, a 2-speed pump would be a good trade-off unless you're willing to pay a premium for all the controls and scheduling that goes with a VSP. In a new build, if you're going with an automation system you might as well get the VSP since the cost differential is so minor compared to the overall cost of a pool build. If, however, you need to contain costs or have a strict budget, then a 2-speed is the way to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good to know. I will probably start with one 60,000 gallon sized SWG and see how this first year goes, but knowing that putting another SWG in-line later is good information.

If I ever did that, would it have to be another SWG of the same size? Could I put an IC60 and an IC40 together? Or same question on other brands as well?

-Mickey

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.