Heater, Solar, Spa

rbinn

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2015
Nanaimo BC
Hi All,

My wife would like to add a spa to our backyard. I like the idea but I'm cheap:p

Anyway a have a decent solar set up, a hard plumbed pool (AG 9 x 18) with a 3/4 HP pump and sand filter. It is automated. My thought was to add a heater after the solar and utilize the existing pump. I can get a "shell" of a spa for free without pump, heater or blower.

I would need another valve/actuator or two, a blower (I guess?) and plumbing.

Would my existing setup be ok? Everything is 120v so I don't have 240 available.

Any advice, pictures, schematics or conversation is welcome.

Thanks

Rob

It is very rare to have the same pump/filter/heater equipment used on independent bodies of water (which is what it sounds like you are trying to do).

How would you ensure that the chemistry was well maintained in both bodies of water? If not done well, they could cross contaminate each other.

Thanks for your reply. I thought it was a fairly common thing? Why couldn't you have a separate schedule. I think I am misunderstanding? So if I would isolate each system, how would I use the same heater?

Thanks
Rob

Last edited:
Normally the spa is designed to spill into the pool using the same equipment. So you effectively have a single body of water, unless switching to spa mode to heat it up.

What you are proposing would not allow the spa to spill into the pool. So you would end up draining the spa or overflowing it. Unless you try to keep them independent, but any water in the filter or plumbing is going to mix.

Ok, I I have it now. Theoretically it works, however, you risk mixing because of the plumbing. So the correct way is to get a small pump/filter for the hot tub. When I checked the schematics from Jandy it looks like they can share the heater but only the pool would have access to solar. So each system is pretty much isolated.

Looks like I need to think this through a bit more...

Thanks for the insight. It will be nice when done. If done correctly!

jblizzle,

I'm still working on my little project. I found a schematic that isolates the pump's and filters but shares the heater. I have the valve's and actuator's all I would need is another small pump and filter. I live on the side of a hill overlooking the ocean and we are trying to somehow put in a hot tub into the hill on a budget, keeping all the mechanical in one location. I only have 120V to my new to me Pentair Suntouch but it runs my SS pump and solar without issue. I have ordered an Autelis control to allow remote monitoring.

What are your thoughts, would this work or should I just fold up the plan and start again?

Thank for your advice.

View attachment 48671

There is nothing wrong with that setup besides the "what ifs" ... like what if the valves are set such that both the pool and spa pump are trying to heat water? While actuators could make it this less likely, sometimes they do fail and you could end up overflowing or draining the spa.

What is the "small pump and filter" for? The spa likely requires a higher flow rate (bigger pump) than the pool. And with higher flow rates, you typically need larger filters.

Thanks again for the input. I think I am just going to find a completely separate hot tub with pump, heater jets and whatever.. I'll keep my Suntouch for the pool, solar and maybe a small heater at some point. The Autelis will allow remote control of that, I was just really hoping to put everything under one control.

Planning is the place to pick out the "what if's". I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.

Cheers,

R

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.