What does the KW stand for on my pool pump label?

Apr 29, 2016
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
What does the KW stand for on my pool pump label? I thought it may stand for kilowatt, but the proper way of displaying the abbreviation for kilowatt is kW, not KW. Also, when I manually calculate power based on the voltage (115) and amperage (18.6), I get 2.14 kW, not 1.1 kW. I'm trying to determine how much electricity I'm using running my pump 9 hours a day so that I can make a cost savings comparison for when I get my new robotic pool cleaner and run my pump less. Thanks
View attachment 48237

In that sense on the motor plate, KW and HP are rating to indicate power output. 746 watts is roughly equal to 1 HP depending on your conversion.

- - - Updated - - -

You would have to actually measure the running current of the motor to determine real world power usage. The name plate amps is locked rotor current which is the maximum current draw of the motor.

I get over 2kW too when doing the math. As for figuring out what you are using the labels are often best case scenario and do not reflect reality. If you want to know the real usage I suggest turning everything in the house off at the main breaker panel except the pool pump. If you have a smart meter it's very easy to see what you are using but even if you have an old spinning dial system you can Google how to read it.

Power use will depend on the plumbing of your system to a degree. If you want to be accurate, you'll need to measure actual current.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.