Buying home with pool, Concerned about not being able to have pool inspected....

May 17, 2016
Central IN
I wrote up a similar post earlier, but I think something happened to it. Hopefully this isn't an accidental double-post on my part :confused:. Anyway...

Husband and I have an accepted offer on a home with an inground pool. We don't know much about it yet, but, from what we can tell it has a vinyl liner, it's a sport pool (shallow on each end with a deep "v" in the center), house was built in 2002 and I believe the pool was put in shortly after. The seller said the pump and liner were replaced "a few years ago". The seller owns a pool cover business, and offered up replacing the cover, saying it is near the end of its life. The pool is heated, has a safety auto cover with keycode, appears to have fountains that light up different colors from the photos I've seen. There's a slide. Basically, all I know is what I've seen from the photos and from walking around the pool area before the pool was opened this spring.

The problem we have... right now everyone is having their pools opened, and the pool companies have no appointments available to do an inspection before our 14 day window closes for inspections with our offer letter. I've probably called 20 different pool companies in the Indianapolis area. The house is in great shape and looks well cared for.. the pool also looks immaculate in the photos and the seller, again, owns a pool cover business. We still are concerned with the possibility of not having a pool company out to inspect the pool and equipment before we move forward with the purchase.

I was hoping for some pointers on obvious things to look for when our home is inspected this week. I realize a noob like me armed with some suggestions from the interwebs is no substitute for a professional inspection.. but... it may be all I can get unless one of the companies I've left our information with calls us back with a cancellation. I grew up around a pool... my folks still have one. I have helped a bunch with cleaning, maintenance, etc. I know my way around a pool decently, but, I'm really not an expert by an means. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated... at least we wouldn't feel like we were going into this completely and totally in the dark. Thank you!!!!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Keep pushing the pool companies to try to get someone out to inspect.

At a minimum, demand a time with the current owner to go over the equipment. What automation does it have? How do you turn on the pump? How do you turn on the heater? How do you operate the filter? Does the pump turn on? Does it prime (start circulation)? Do all the valves work? Can you see flow from all the returns and fountains? Can you see suction/vortex in all the skimmers? Does the liner look like it's a vibrant color or is it pale and bleached? Are there areas of the liner that are bleached or lighter than others? Is the liner firmly locked into the coping around the pool, skimmer plates and returns with no gaps? Any puckering, ridges, large dents or wrinkles in the liner? Check any GFCI protection present on lights, pumps, outlets in the pool area. Is the pool properly enclosed with fencing and gating as required by local codes? Are gate, door or pool alarms required by code? Check out this for more ideas: Pool School - Pool Circulation System There are literally hundreds of things to look for and I've only listed a sample from the top of my head.

There are a couple of things that can only be assessed professionally. A pressure test on the plumbing system and a test of the proper electrical bonding of the pool and equipment. Incidentally, if there are issues with those, they can be expensive to repair. If the seller cannot provide an inspection, could there be an agreement to have funds held in escrow as part of the closing to cover potential pool repair costs?

The Home Inspection people will often offer an added pool inspection for a little extra cost. In my opinion, they're not as knowledgeable as a good pool company for inspections (my inspectors both shadowed the pool guy my Realtor uses for inspections as he walked me through the entire pool's functions, parts and pieces, etc - the inspectors were asking a lot of great questions and obviously using the opportunity to learn more themselves, which was fine with me), but they'd certainly be better than nothing!

Thanks for the welcome!!! This forum is a fantastic resource!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that one of the waiting lists I'm on for cancellations will pull through. My realtor is suggesting now that maybe we can get an extension for our inspection period because of the unavailability of pool inspectors at the moment. I will definitely mention the escrow idea too, though, because that's a great idea for sure.

The current owner offered before we even asked to give us a lesson how to run everything, what his maintenance routine is, etc. He also said he can be available for questions and help after the sale. So, I'm sure there won't be an issue with having him show us around. The pool is already opened for the season, so, I should be able to get some visuals on the things you have mentioned above, so thank you for the list.. I will be printing it off and taking it with me on Thursday!

I will report back on our findings after the home inspection on Thursday. We all know that if I notice something wonky, then we have trouble, lol :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the home inspection company that we chose said they do not have anyone who knows anything about swimming pools unfortunately :(

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Keep pushing the pool companies to try to get someone out to inspect.

At a minimum, demand a time with the current owner to go over the equipment. What automation does it have? How do you turn on the pump? How do you turn on the heater? How do you operate the filter? Does the pump turn on? Does it prime (start circulation)? Do all the valves work? Can you see flow from all the returns and fountains? Can you see suction/vortex in all the skimmers? Does the liner look like it's a vibrant color or is it pale and bleached? Are there areas of the liner that are bleached or lighter than others? Is the liner firmly locked into the coping around the pool, skimmer plates and returns with no gaps? Any puckering, ridges, large dents or wrinkles in the liner? Check any GFCI protection present on lights, pumps, outlets in the pool area. Is the pool properly enclosed with fencing and gating as required by local codes? Are gate, door or pool alarms required by code? Check out this for more ideas: Pool School - Pool Circulation System There are literally hundreds of things to look for and I've only listed a sample from the top of my head.

There are a couple of things that can only be assessed professionally. A pressure test on the plumbing system and a test of the proper electrical bonding of the pool and equipment. Incidentally, if there are issues with those, they can be expensive to repair. If the seller cannot provide an inspection, could there be an agreement to have funds held in escrow as part of the closing to cover potential pool repair costs?

As luck would have it... a pool company let me know they can "work us in" on short notice over the next couple weeks.. I think I'll sleep better tonight!

WOW! What a nice sounding pool you will be buying! Take your phone with you and take lots of pictures to share with us. We can and will help you ID the equipment.

Have the Home Owner (HO) turn on and off everything. Have him show you how the cleaner is used as well. Take LOTS of notes!

Kim:cat:

WOW! What a nice sounding pool you will be buying! Take your phone with you and take lots of pictures to share with us. We can and will help you ID the equipment.

Have the Home Owner (HO) turn on and off everything. Have him show you how the cleaner is used as well. Take LOTS of notes!

Thank you!! We are really excited! Our kids will absolutely freak out :) I grew up with a pool, and really wanted my kiddos to have the same experience of having the "hang out" place as I did as a kid. Trying to not get TOO worked up until the home inspection, appraisal, etc. have cleared... We are actually keeping it a surprise for our kids, not going to show or tell them until it's all finalized and we know everything is a "go".

I will take tons of photos for sure. The HO won't be there for the inspection... but... the pool inspection company I have landed sounds very detailed in their reporting. It will likely be after the sale of the house is finalized when the HO gives me a run-through of his routine. I may even take video of him showing me how things work, if he's okay with that.

Thanks for the replies!!!

Also... update your location to be more specific, like a state for that city(?). Makes a difference on some pool advice. I know Indy is in your first post but it helps to be able to see that location with each post.

Once you get more details on your pool, update your signature as well. Edit Signature

Glad you're able to get someone out to do an inspection. Ask lots of questions when they are there. No such thing as a dumb question when you're buying a pool... that comes with a house. ;)

We closed on our current house after the pool had been winterized so we had to roll the dice. We did see it once prior to the pool being winterized and it didn't look too bad. We eventually needed a new plaster job after two years and replaced the heater but those where the two big ticket items I wished I had known about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay folks.. it's been a really crazy few weeks with closing on our current house, moving into an apartment, and going through the motions with the new place.

So, we had the home inspection (everything went fairly well) a couple weeks ago, and yesterday was the official pool inspection. Everything checked out great per the pool company, just some rust on something (whatever a "bead receiver" is) that the owner said he'd fix.

The pool inspector sent a report to me, and looking at the report, I can now say I have a clearer picture of how the pool is set up.

Here are the stats, from what I can tell:

18 X 37,rectangle with 5' cut corners
wall material - galvanized steel
pool floor - vermiculite
viny liner
Filter: Pentair Clean&Clear Plus
Pump: Pentair Intelliflo VS
Sanitizing System: Intellichlor chlorine generator
electrical system: Intell-touch
Heater: Mastertemp 250 NG
Underguide autocover
Slide is an x-stream by Interfab

Inspector said all looks good. The liner has 6-7 years left, owner is replacing the fabric on the pool cover for us since it's worn. During the home inspection, we were able to see the pool without the cover, and it looked great! Water was crystal clear, everything looked nice to a "novice eye".

Is there anything in that list I should be wary of? Questions I should be asking? I will definitely ask the owner how old the salt cell (I think that's the correct terminology?) is in the chlorine generator... I think I read those have a lifespan of about 5 years. I am not sure how often the cartridges in the filter need to be changed, or how long the current ones have been in there.

Thanks in advance for your input!! :D

That is a really nice setup. The only thing I have to add/ask is do you have a test kit at least on order, can you put your state in your location and can your put that new info in your signature.

Yes, SWG cells seem to last 5-7 years based on how hard they have to work.

That is a really nice setup. The only thing I have to add/ask is do you have a test kit at least on order, can you put your state in your location and can your put that new info in your signature.

Yes, SWG cells seem to last 5-7 years based on how hard they have to work.

I juuuuuust updated my location a few mins ago, hopefully if it isn't appearing to the masses yet, it will shortly. I'm in central IN.. in Fishers, just a bit north east of Indianapolis. And yep, I'll put all that stuff in my signature shortly. I had a few minutes between tasks at work and thought I'd toss that out there for comment while I had the chance.

I do not have a test kit on order yet... I was going to wait and see what the seller leaves us, as far as chemicals and test kits go, and go from there. We will be closing the end of this month and moving over the first weekend in July. I know y'all have a particular kit you like to use, was going to see if he is leaving one of those with the pool :) Does it take very long to receive the kit? Maybe I shouldn't wait until closing on the house and chance it....

Yes, ask if the previous owner was a TFP member.. at least then you will know the water is in good shape :laughblue:

LOL!!!!! Well, he owns a pool cover business, so HOPEFULLY he knows what he is doing :) I know I sure don't yet!! LOL. I grew up with a sand filter and a chlorinator that eats tablets... so basically the equipment here I am not in the least familiar with ... hopefully the learning curve isn't too steep.

LOL!!!!! Well, he owns a pool cover business, so HOPEFULLY he knows what he is doing :) I know I sure don't yet!! LOL. I grew up with a sand filter and a chlorinator that eats tablets... so basically the equipment here I am not in the least familiar with ... hopefully the learning curve isn't too steep.

It could mean he knows nothing though! :)

SWG is much easier (in the long run) than a tablet feeder. Cartridge filters are not difficult.

hehe you said a funny hehe someone who works with pools knowing about the chemistry????? LOLOLOLOLOL oops sorry

People who work in POOL STORES do not know as much about the science behind a balanced pool.

What we teach is science based as well as tested daily in THOUSANDS of pools.

We will teach you all that you need to know. If you are not taking over the pool until July you save your pennies and order it the beginning of the last full week in June.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a relief. When I started googling some of these things.. I began having that "what have I gotten myself into?!?!" feeling :)

NO google allowed! ONLY use the search box up at the top. It will take you to TFP threads.

hehe you said a funny hehe someone who works with pools knowing about the chemistry????? LOLOLOLOLOL oops sorry

People who work in POOL STORES do not know as much about the science behind a balanced pool.

What we teach is science based as well as tested daily in THOUSANDS of pools.

We will teach you all that you need to know. If you are not taking over the pool until July you save your pennies and order it the beginning of the last full week in June.

- - - Updated - - -

NO google allowed! ONLY use the search box up at the top. It will take you to TFP threads.

:) Will do! No more googling. And I'll definitely order the water test kit the end of June :) Thank you!!

And I have an early "treat" for you! This is what I give to new pool owners. I am going to go ahead and give it to you now. What I want you to do it "pretend" you already have the pool. Use 10,000 gals as your pretend pool size. Play around with Pool Math to see how it works. Read and reread the ABC of Pools as they are the corner stone to TFP. Some of it will not make sense yet BUT once you get your test kit and test your tap water we can guide you on what you would do if it were your pool water.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.